Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
GMC Sierra/Chev Silverado Spare Tire Carrier? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 AM
New Chevy Guy

Thumbs down Jacks

I just got a new 2013 and i had to take off the rear tires to install mudflaps in my garage
And there little jack is the most useless piece of C**P i have ever used
And down right dangerous
I ended up having to lay down on my garage floor to position the jack and get it to stay in position without leaning

I would not want to be doing that on the side of the road with that unstable jack on uneven ground

Then you would have to get back into your BRAND New TRUCK all dirty from having to lay on the ground
And thats on a nice day Give it a go at night in - 20

Tell me again on your commercials how great your engineering is!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Wallhanger

I have fought no less than three of these mechanisms, all at most inopportune times in less than desirable places, everyone who owns a GM owes it to themselves to lower it either every month and lube like REW suggested or lower it and cut the safety hook out, it will fail and it will ruin your life for a couple hours.

That system is such a joke its amazing GM sells any vehicles with that kind of engineering behind them.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

A friend experienced a flat tire on his '11 Chev 1500 a couple weeks ago. He had the Onstar benefits and a tow truck driver showed up, and they could not get the spare tire down. Calls to GM didn't help and I believe they cut the thing out to get him back on the road. I couldn't believe it until I read this post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 05:06 PM
2005 Sierra in TN

Default Spare tire hanger

Had a flat on the interstate yesterday. The spare came down just fine. however after raising the hanger to get off the side of the road and trying to lower it again to put the spare back after repairing the tire. The hanger wont come back down any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 Sierra in TN View Post
Had a flat on the interstate yesterday. The spare came down just fine. however after raising the hanger to get off the side of the road and trying to lower it again to put the spare back after repairing the tire. The hanger wont come back down any suggestions?
Yes.

Buy a Ford.

Seriously, there are hints earlier in this thread on how to monkey with this stupid system to get the hanger to lower again.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Wallhanger

Another reason to love my old burb. The spare is inside, under a cover. Still looks like brand new after being there 16 years.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinie View Post
Another reason to love my old burb. The spare is inside, under a cover. Still looks like brand new after being there 16 years.
Puts a little more "U" in SUV.

I'd rather see more of that and less frou-frou in the new trucks.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Keeper

Wait until your gas lines and fuel pump located in the top of your fuel tank rust out and it cost you over a grand to have them replaced !!! Also the rear brake backing plates rusted out on my 2006 Tahoe. The commercials brag about GM using steel for the frames and bodies are a joke.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerjim View Post
Wait until your gas lines and fuel pump located in the top of your fuel tank rust out and it cost you over a grand to have them replaced !!! Also the rear brake backing plates rusted out on my 2006 Tahoe. The commercials brag about GM using steel for the frames and bodies are a joke.
You should consider washing your vehicle in the winter to keep the salt off. I just sold my 2004 GMC and there wasn't a speck of rust on it after 225,000 miles and 10 plus years. The only things I had to do to it were a water pump and front hubs. That's why I drive GM's!!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:56 AM
Keeper

I have a 2011 Silverado and I lower the spare every fall ,have the truck rustproofed , grease the cable and put the spare back. Never had a problem or seen anything like a "safety latch".