Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Captains License - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Slot Fish

Default Captains License

Looking to get my captains license, asap. I've talked to a couple of people, it sounds like the way to go is through the internet, taking a test when completed. Do I also need a CPR course too? I heard that the course is tough, will I learn enough on line to pass? I know a lot of you have your license, any help would be appreciated. I live in the Chicago, Southern Wisconsin area. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Captains License

While it is second hand info... Friend of mine went through this guy last month and passed...

http://www.schooloffishcharters.com/License.html

Located at the College of Dupage
Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the help, I e-mailed them, will see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Keeper

Here`s a link to another school. Hope it`s helpful.
http://www.chartercaptainschool.com/Home_Page.html
Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you may wish to do some research on the current, and upcoming restrictions, and requirements needed to charter. Many of us are done after August of this year if not sooner due to fuel prices. It's an absolute joke what is happening to the Great lakes fleet in regards to new rules coming.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Trophy, can you share a little info on what these new rules are about?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

There is a new "money maker" card that is required that will cost us 150.00, then there is all the boarder crossing laws which are in effect for fishing Canadien waters. Read the new laws on the coast guard site. You will need access to so much equipment, time, the fact the Coast guard officer at the charter Conference made it perfectly clear if your within a half mile of the boarder you, and your crew is gonna get boarded and checked, It's just not worth it. Add the fuel cost hit, which will be worse than last year, many of us are just done with it.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Wallhanger

As I understand it, the TWIC only costs $105 if you are already credentialed (Merchant Mariner Document). Either way, it's good for 5 years, so even at $133, it averages out to only $20-$25 year.

http://www.maritimedelriv.com/Port_S...C_FAQ_Copy.pdf

To get back on topic. I used Capt Gary at Explorers Guide. He has both classroom and online classes. I took the classroom.

FWIW, I consider myself rather mechanically inclined, somewhat intelligent, self motivated and there is no way I would have completed this online. This is a tough egg to crack. When it came to review and exam day, there were a couple extra people in class. They were online students who needed help reviewing and taking the exam.

The only other thing I'll add, is I hope you realize your definition of "ASAP" is going to vary greatly from the USCG. I don't know if it happened yet or not, but there was talk of all the regional exam centers doing nothing but completing the paperwork, and then forewarding that on to the main facility for licensure.

After completing the class/exam, you'll be lucky to have everything else done and completed, signed, sealed and delivered, approved and license in hand in less than 2 months. That assumes you have your CPR and 1st aid completed before hand.

I had everything else completed before hand, and sent it all in with my test results on the last day of my class and it took 8 weeks for my license to get in hand.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 PM
A Charter Capt.

The initial inspection of my boat was around $250 in Michigan. In addition to the TWIC this year you'll have to get your boat federally documented if its above around 24 feet(don't remember cost). You will have to get a physical and drug screening from a designated site for about another $120 and you'll need to be enlisted in a random drug screening program each year.

I figured out a way to get one million dollars being a charter captain.

Start with 2 million.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 AM
help

Is ther a reason for all this extra govt control? I havent heard anything until this came up on this board. Is ther something us guys with the 14' to 19' boats who just like to fish have to do?