Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leech Lake , Mn. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Leech Lake--Fishing Report

One week of the 2015 Leech Lake walleye game is in the books. As has been the case in many Upper Midwest areas, foul weather has been a controlling factor on the fishing report front. I was on the water only 4 times in 7 days. When we have gotten out between big winds and nasty rain, the bite has been pretty good with limits in the live-well. As usual, it can be and has been spotty--with slow periods and then all of sudden you bump into a good active bunch and if worked right, quick numbers of fish in the boat can grow fast. The north and west side of the main lake has been the best being a little warmer water than other areas. Cold front after cold front still has the water around 50 degrees or a hair colder this week. Fish are in scattered schools on most of the popular flats and points--7-9ft. of water. Find the first one...focus there until it wears out and then find the next roving school. So far--typical Leech Lake jig/shiner combos are taking most fish but leeches on slip-sinker rigs have been getting better and in a week or so--if we get some consistent warm temps, everything in the box will be in play. And all of the walleye haunts on the entire lake will be potential good destinations. Walleye size has been all over the ruler with good numbers of eaters in the totals.
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#

Last edited by stevefellegy; 05-17-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Nice report.

Last edited by dutchboy; 05-17-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Slot Fish

Great report, Steve! Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

There's ICE on the hood and roof of the truck this morning! You gotta be awful mad at'em to fish today! And I ain't that mad...
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
Old 05-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Keeper

Noticed any water big water temperature changes this past week or have fishing patterns changed much? I am assuming a jig and a minnow working shallow flats, and points is the ticket? Any crankbait bites?
Old 05-24-2015, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflatlander View Post
Noticed any water big water temperature changes this past week or have fishing patterns changed much? I am assuming a jig and a minnow working shallow flats, and points is the ticket? Any crankbait bites?
I fished three times this past week–including today.
Early in the week I had a pretty good day–17 legit keepers for three of us ( put back a handful as we got close to our 12th one in the box)–7 too big and 4 too small. Then it got tougher the next time out as we had to work hard to find the first one before we could zero in on a school. And then school was out as fast it would start–having to hunt a lot for the next school. Today we had 7 dandies the first hour–gonna be a good day right?—not so fast! One per hour the rest of the time out today.

Seems leeches are as good as any lately ( both on slip-sinker rigs as well as jigs)–as the jig shiner thing still works fine/best but will dry up with the shiner supply in a week or so I suspect. Water is warming fast the past couple days after a 5-6 degree drop earlier in the colder than a well-diggers a$$ week.

Monday next…with hopes the bite gets a little easier for an old weather -beaten transplanted Rookie. Dang pea size brains those walleyes swim around with can make a guy have to think too much! lol
Steve Fellegy #49
Old 05-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Keeper

Thanks for a updated report Steve I appreciate it. I am hoping with my size of my boat the weather cooperates some of the time I am there.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflatlander View Post
Crank baits are catching fish too these days....and will get better each day most likely. You'll go through a lot of "snot-rockets" ( small northern) with the cranks.
Steve Fellegy #49
Old 06-01-2015, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Put three days on the Leech Lake walleye's turf this week again. One really good trip ( lots of keepers--mid day fishing) and the others pretty good once the first one was boated.

We put the small crank baits in the water this week and found them to be a good choice in areas of flat bottom or straight shoreline stretches. 7-9ft.

Opted to not fish the big annual tourney this year ( this past weekend) --now with regrets. Next year....

Back at'em tomorrow!
Steve Fellegy #49
Old 06-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Today the fishy talk in the boat sounded like a broken record. " Another one TOO BIG"! 3 out of 22 were small enough to keep in the 4 hrs. we hunted. 7 were between 25" and 26". How many over 26"? Best not ask...lol Not a good fish fry spot/area...no doubt.

Bobbers are suppose to float---today they were mostly "faulty".
Steve Fellegy #49

Last edited by stevefellegy; 06-02-2015 at 03:05 PM.