Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any coyote hunters on here? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Old Geezer..

Cool Fox pro

I bought the Fox-Pro Spitfire and it is plenty easy to read the remote. And easy to work, the remote has quite the distance for raising the volume and lowering.

We went 2 times last winter and did not see anything, but was interesting anyway, it comes with quite a few calls.

The crow call works good, just tried it in town and did attract them..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for replies! I'm in the process of making a weazel ball decoy
that was described on one of the coyote forums. A FoxPro Shockwave is on its way. I don't know if I really needed that, but It's supposedly top of the line. I can always let a young guy I fish with use it, he has a $38 E-caller that doesn't sound that good!
The only place I can shoot far is up around that quarry I mentioned. Other than that it's mostly woods with briars and small openings, probably would do better with a shotgun. I don't think it's going to be too easy, especially for a rookie, but I'm trying to gain enough info. beforehand to at least have a chance.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Slot Fish

Default shotgun

When hunting in the dakotas, or out west i guess too, the 22-250 is hard to beat. but, if you have most shots under 100 yards, that shot gun with 00 buck is the way to go. those dogs will stick to the cover as long as they can in the trees. So be still, camo up, play the wind, and have something on that caller to keep them focused on. Instead of you. We just use a turkey feather on a stick that can blow in the wind. biggest thing that guys get hung up on is thinking it is easy, and burning out after the first 5 times out. They come in bunches. Sometimes literally. have fun, learn each time out, and don't miss. Those dogs are smart. and they learn real quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Wallhanger

The feather on a stick has been mentioned more than once. It can't get much simpler than that. I will probably have some feathers with me for when the battery goes dead in the weazel ball, and I forgot the extras!
I finished making the weasel ball decoy, and am amazed that someone figured out how to do that!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Gomer 2

I Hope you have a lot of time..its very addicting. Last year was my first. Foxpro firestorm. Killed 8, missed plenty more and educated a lot more yet. You'll like the shockwave. Good advice on here. Don't get frustrated, you'll learn something every time out and so will the yotes. they educate real fast. Some things to add are you don't need to blow their ear drums out. They hear better than you so keep the volume down, if with a partner one shotgun, one rifle..they sneak up close real easy. Be ready when starting calling sometimes its a matter of a few minutes or less. have best luck first time calling a spot, gets tougher each time there. Don't over call, sometimes silence is better. Shooting sticks are a must. Made mine out of carbon arrows and rubber bands. Comfy seat is worth it. Did I mention it's addicting? Have fun!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Wallhanger

Never heard of a weasel ball where did you learn how to make that? Feather on a stick seems like a good old stand by. I have a good .22 and a Browning .270 with a good Nikon scope I hunt deer with. The .22 is pretty accurate to 50 - 75 yards I can hit a bottle cap. I know my .270 can reach out and touch something. I can't really afford to buy a new rife right now so most likely I would use the .270 with 130 grain boat tail.

Last edited by eriksat1; 10-15-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Wallhanger

It shows how to make a weazel ball decoy on "Varmint Al's website". Don't know if it works, but it looks neat!
Click on coyote hunting on the left and scroll down past the calls, he tells you how to make one. I got the weazel balls from e-bay.
It's actually a pet toy. I bent the top of the rod, and then used 1/4" compression t's to fasten the horizontal rods on to it; instead of welding them. Had to drill out the t's to fit the 1/4" rods.
Attached Images

Last edited by grizzley; 10-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Wallhanger

I have a friend who hunts them religiously year after year. He waits until we have snow on the ground and a full moon. With the approval of our local DEC officer he picks up dead road kill deer, pounds rebar through them and into the ground so it does not get dragged off. Hunts over the carcass night after night until it is picked clean or the yotes are all dead. Uses a rifle for the long shots and a shotgun for those yotes that tend to sneak up from behind. Works well!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Keeper

Default E caller

Buy the Foxpro and forget the others! The only call you will need on it is the cotton tail! That is until you get to know the mating seasons of the dogs in your area! The good thing about a fox pro is the other animals you can call in that often get overlooked try turnining it to crow party just about anywhere and you will have 20 birds overhead in seconds. Also I use mine to coon hunt with! Coon puppies for a call I wear. Black sneak up on a chunk of woods stay 100 to 150 yards away turn call on make sure you sit dead behind the call so you. Can see their eyes when they are running in. Yes they will be running in hit spot if you see nothing in 5 min move on. The action is fast easy way to pile up pelts! Pm me for more wuestions
Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Hoot Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty underpants View Post
If it was spring don't overlook owls for nabbing chickens. I had one try and get one while I was standing 20 feet away in broad daylight. Also had a fox try and get one once too... couldn't shoot cause the wife was in the way!! lol Coyotes do get 'em too some times.

My hens free range, and unfortunately I loose one or two as a result. It's part of the game I guess. I'd rather have them picking bugs out of the garden and ticks out of the yard.

As far as yote hunting, treat their noses like a deer. Play the wind and camo up like turkey hunting. I have an electronic call, but still prefer my mouth calls until they freeze up.
Are you suggesting shooting owls? Isn't that illegal?