Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing Line question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Wallhanger

Default Fishing Line question

I know the theory is to use the lightest line possible with a jig. But, with the new braids etc does it make a difference if you use 6 ot 8 lb test that has a diameter much smaller or use 14lb test that has a diamter of 6? Is lighter still better or if the diamater is 6lb why not get the strongest line you can?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinOrSwim View Post
I know the theory is to use the lightest line possible with a jig. But, with the new braids etc does it make a difference if you use 6 ot 8 lb test that has a diameter much smaller or use 14lb test that has a diamter of 6? Is lighter still better or if the diamater is 6lb why not get the strongest line you can?
I find (tested) that most braids are much stronger than as stated. I have been using 10/4 Fireline since it came on market. Still works fine. 5
Old 07-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Slot Fish

I prefer lighter/thinner line for most applications. If where you fish mostly is snaggy then you might be better off with the heavier weight line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

When monofilament was in vogue, casting very light lures required a light lb test in order to be able to cast a distance. Probably a factor of actual weight of the line resulting in less inertia to send the line on its way, friction through the guides, diameter of the guides, and other factors which we maybe never thought of.With the use of braids, the same lb test line is much smaller in diameter (actual weight, friction is lighter).

Buying into this logic, It is no longer a necessity to use the same lb test in braid that one used with monofiliment, to achieve the same distance. What I'm saying is that, for example, instead of using 4lb braid, we probably could use 8-10, etc., with the same casting results. Stronger line can mean less reties from snags. Other factors, such as sink rate due to more water resistance, may change the line choice.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Bill
Old 07-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
When monofilament was in vogue, casting very light lures required a light lb test in order to be able to cast a distance. Probably a factor of actual weight of the line resulting in less inertia to send the line on its way, friction through the guides, diameter of the guides, and other factors which we maybe never thought of.With the use of braids, the same lb test line is much smaller in diameter (actual weight, friction is lighter).

Buying into this logic, It is no longer a necessity to use the same lb test in braid that one used with monofiliment, to achieve the same distance. What I'm saying is that, for example, instead of using 4lb braid, we probably could use 8-10, etc., with the same casting results. Stronger line can mean less reties from snags. Other factors, such as sink rate due to more water resistance, may change the line choice.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Bill
X2. Smaller diameter allows for greater depth with less weight because of less resistance in the water, too. I pick braid weight by comparing it to mono diameter. I don't worry about walleye breaking anything over 6# and using 10# allows me to pull off a lot of snags. Pike bite offs are another issue although they don't happen often enough for me to take any steps to avoid them.

Most important thing to remember is that line choice is the most critical decision you make in fishing. Be just the tiniest bit wrong about any of a hundred variables in your line and you'll never catch a thing. Or maybe that's a huge exaggeration. Get a bait in front of active fish and you're golden. I think thinner diameter helps me do that and helps me keep it there. Other guys fishing 10' away from me will catch just as many with a different line or get skunked with the same line. The only part I really feel strongly about is getting distance and maintaining feel when jigging. And that is a lot less important in Canada than it is on Lake Charlevoix.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Wallhanger

It depends a lot on depth/the length of line out. I've used super braids for jigging at 20' or deeper, but if I'm jig fishing in 10-15', the thicker mono works just fine. There are more than one reason for this. First is line stretch -- 1/2 the line out means 1/2 the difference. The second is the ability to feel the fish inhale the bait or see the line move sideways when the fish takes. Again, 1/2 the line out means 1/2 the resistance against the jig moving. And my old eyes can see movement in colored mono easier than neutral colored braid.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Slot Fish

If you do much casting, use a heavier braid or you will get a lot of rod tip raps, or you can use a stiffer line such as Berkley's Nanofil. 12lb.

GOOD LUCK,

Jawjerker
Old 07-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

I have never found walleye's to be line shy,The rule of thumb that I follow, use the smallest jig posible to stay in contact with the bottom,no matter what depth you are fishing. I have been using braids for more than ten yrs. fireline,power pro,832, I prefure the Suffex 832, 6 lb for jigging and 10 lb for any other apps. Its no strech quality,is not matched by any other line. I have straightened jig hooks with the 6 lb from snags. It is very true what the guys are saying about line drag in the water, thinner lines will run deeper than thicker, its just physics.Wind and boat speed have alot to do with,how deep you can jig, sometimes its so rough you have to anchor,then jig size is not a problem. the amount of ground you cover is. I have caught Walter in as much as 52 ft of water jigging not an easy feat, Your drift speed and angle of line has alot to do with catching or not.I personally like to hold the rod at a 45 degree angle to the water, not letting the line get more than 90 degrees off the rod, after that your strike to catch ratio goes way down. the long you keep your line vertical the more fish you will catch and stay in contact the with bottom.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Jawjerker,
If you use a rod, that has guides and tip set up for braid, you do not have the line looping issue with fine and very thin braided line.

An example of a rod tip that really reduces the number of line loops around the tip.

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/...Tip-Tops/BBRLT

If one wanted to reduce the number of tip loops with thin line, the tip on any rod could be changed to a different type that is more resistant to tip line loops.

Be safe
Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Minnow

For me I personally would prefer to use the braid of a larger diameter/test typically I use a 20lb braid for most of my jigging. I like this because I get good sensitivity (especially in deeper water) with it and it's not like a razor wire that is going to carve up a fish should it get wrapped in it and if I can land it faster, that's better for it too.

I always use Fluoro tied directly to the line on the end. Typically I use a 10lb and have not had any issue with walleye "seeing" it in clear water. I have gone down to as small as 6lb on my leader, but again I have not had issues with getting them to bite once I find them so the extra strength is a no-brainer for me.

Contact with them bottom is completely based on my jig head weight. Far as casting them I have never had issues with this set up either.

I like the bigger line both for the fish's sake and to have the power if I need it. I don't have any issues catching fish, I only see upside to the larger line, within reason of course.

I wouldn't recommend 80lb braid for jiggin up some eyes lol