Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What is the BEST Spincast Reel?????HELP!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Slot Fish

Default What is the BEST Spincast Reel?????HELP!!

My wife does not want to use a open face spinning reel and is complaining about the bad spincast reels I have--I agree they don't work well.

What is the best one? I have 2 Daiwa Goldcast reels now and they keep fouling up no matter how many times I take them apart or clean them. I need a great reel for an adult not a cheap spincast for a 5 year old. She loves to fish with me---WOW am I a lucky man--but these reels are not helping me.

I don't care about price--just want a great reel. Someone suggested salt water spincasts--don't know anything about those.

HELP!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Default spin cast reels

Try Abu Garcia, they have about 3 sizes.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm not much on spincast reels, but if I were to buy one, I'd get one that has an oscillating spool/ line pickup. Daiwa used to offer several, not many makers have them.

The oscillation factor keeps the line from falling over on the spool -undercutting itself - laying the line fairly evenly on the spool (like with a normal spinning reel ), should result in elimination of the sudden casting stops, as the line jams up on the spool, so common with spincast reels. Keep in mind, also, that the gear ratio is almost always lower with spincast reels, potentially resulting in a reduced/less line retrieve per crank.

I know you stated your quest is for a spincast reel, but in this day of technology change, learning how to use a spinning reel is not very difficult, and in my opinion, worth the performance advantages.

Bill Krejca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Slot Fish

I agree the best solution is for my wife to just learn to use a spinning reel. I use Shimano Spirex because I love the Quickfire and the rear drag. Spirex is the ONLY reel with both these features.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Skunkedagain unlogged

Zebco omega. Bought one for my dad last year. Very impressed with it.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Zebco Omega reelno doubt

Howdy!
The high-end Zebco (a paradox, I know!) Omega is the best one in my view and experience.
Gutsier than half the "name-brand" spinning reels of similar price ($55 - $65 range)

Let us know what you come up with...

Here's a link to Bass Pro, other retailers may also carry this reel:
http://www.basspro.com/Zebco-Omega-S...ct/44496/80944

TrollerMan
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkedagain unlogged View Post
Zebco omega. Bought one for my dad last year. Very impressed with it.
X2.

Bought Zebco Omegas for my mom and my sister in law for Christmas last year, and I'm very impressed with them as well. They're solid, all metal construction, are very smooth, have multiple line pickups, an oscillating line wrap system, and even come with a spare spool. They cast a mile and have a pretty decent drag system.

I matched them up to Shimano baitcasting rods (a Compre and a Clarus), and while they aren't comparable to good quality spinning gear, they work very well, better than low end spinning gear would in my opinion.

As for converting them to spinning gear, I tried, and it just didn't work out. In the end I decided that just because I think it's the best way to go doesn't mean it's the best way to go for them. What matters most is their comfort and enjoyment of fishing, not what I think should be the best for them. I've quit trying to change them and just bought them the best gear I could find that matches their preferences. Everyone is happy.

Waxy
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Wallhanger

My wife doesn't like an open reel either. She used to use a closed face, but I got her to switch to a casting reel which is a better deal...........
Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I won't say these are best, but when my son was learning to fish he didn't like spinning reels either. So I got him a couple underspins. One was a little Shakespeare Synergy, doesn't have much line capacity but works well for 'gills. And an Abu Garcia 276UI Garcia Abumatic Reel Underspin2bb 3.6:1 100/8#. Carefree for him and thats saying a lot with a kid. And they made for a good transition for him balance and feel wise when he eventually converted over to a spinning reel. Maybe you can convert your wife eventually, too? Just a thought.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

I would say the Pflueger Cetina is probably one of the best out there. If you can get her to use and underspincast reel I would strongly suggest going with one. Not because they are better reels but because you can get such better spinning rods than you can get a casting rod. Yes I know there are great casting rods out there but there are A LOT more nice panfish and jigging style spinning rods than there are casting rods.