Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
GPS units - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-17-2002, 05:08 PM

Default GPS units

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on purchasing a GPS unit for a bassboat console. I have a hand held Lawrence unit that I put in a ram mount and try to us but find it very user unfriendly. No real automatic features and no map so needles to say it's not a crucial part of my equipment. I have been interested in Garmin units as they look easier to use and seem to have some Canadian maps available. Some of my concerns are; easy to use, memory expansion, Canadian lake maps. Let me know if you have any advice for me , thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2002, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: GPS units

Russ:

Firstly, I would suggest that it is very important to evaluate your need for a mapping capability and secondly, whether maps exist for your selected GPS unit for the waters you typically fish. If no maps presently exist for your lakes, what is the point to shelling out the extra dollars for a GPS with mapping capabilities?

I purchased the Garmin handheld GPS 76 last year. It is very user friendly and was a breeze to learn to operate. Its software is easily updated via the Garmin web site whenever enhancements become available. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:02 PM
RTD

Default RE: GPS units

I presently have a Garmin 162 and love the mapping feature. I have the Mapsource software for the USA and Canada. I fish on the Churchill River system and have found that the Canadian Mapsource software improves the basemap detail quite a bit but leaves much to be desired. There may be some 2nd party software available that is better but I am not aware of any. For lakes where Fishing Hot Spots or Garmins Bluechart type data is available, the mapping feature is great showing navigation aids, contour lines etc.. The Garmin Canadian mapsource software gives you an idea where you are and what the shoreline resembles. Thats all. GPS and associated mapping software has come a long way and improvements are made every year. Its expensive to keep up but fun trying. Good luck.