Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bearing buddy - chrome vs ss - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

h8,
As the statement says - 5 years to inspect the bearings.

I know of no way to inspect the bearings unless the grease is removed from the bearings, races and hub.

And, that is precisely what I do. i.e. every 5 years, remove the hubs, clean out the bearings and do a complete inspection of bearings and races - replace any that are defective and replace the seals after repacking the bearings.

If you know a way to inspect the bearings without removing the grease, please give us detailed directions on how this is done.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Wallhanger

i repack and inspect every fall as i get my boat ready for winter. Every 5 years new hubs and bearings go on, Not that much more to buy the hubs with the bearings and seals already in them.
Terrova w-Link
Old 10-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
I've run the BB for years. Never trusted them and always did a year - maybe two teardown.

Now that I need to buy another BB and also re-install the other side, I'm seriously thinking just the dust cap route and dropping out all the problems that go with the BB's. Opinions?
Not sure I would go that route, but if it were me I would probably switch to a hub style such as the Ultra Tow "Ultra Pack". The Zerk fitting is on the rear of the hub, can flush/repack without disassembly. Seems like would be the next best thing to a Dexter system.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6888_200466888

(Make sure to view the video)