Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rainy River report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Slot Fish

Default Rainy River report

How's the fishing been on the river for the eyes?
Anything that has been working.
Also anybody know where you could get frozen river shiners on the canadian side?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Wallhanger

i would think that its not been that great yet. buddy has been targetting sturgeon and said he's caught a few walleye this past week but nothing of size and nothing constistant. and he's been using shiners.

water temps hovering in the low 60's currently. need it in the low 50's before the lake fish release into the river. hopefully that happens somewhere around the end of sept!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Slot Fish

Live shiners or forzen or does it make a difference? low 50s When do the lake fish normally hit the river oct sometime?
Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22 View Post
Live shiners or forzen or does it make a difference? low 50s When do the lake fish normally hit the river oct sometime?
Thanks for the input
we hit it the 1st week of october. drive up from illinois. last 3 years has had water temps around 55 and a littler early. hopefully fall comes earlier this year.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
HarveyCochrane

Default Rainy River

I'm on the river to some extent every week, if not walleye fishing I'm usually messing around with the smallmouth bass. The resident walleye are starting to hit pretty good but the fall walleye run has definately not started until as noted above.... October in full bore, "lock and load" as one of my friends would say. I wll post when the walleye start at the Long Sault and Manitou Rapids.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Wallhanger

also, we have tested it ever since the mn dnr became shiner nazis. dead ones catch just as many fish as live ones. its been that way for 2 years.

my fav jigs are gold jigobits from tom's tackle and gold strobe jigs from jb lures.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Slot Fish

Hey Harv how hard is it to get to the long sault and manitou rapids. I hear the river is pretty tough to get around.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
HarveyCochrane

Default Rainy River

Its kinda hard if you don't know where the channel is to get up to the manitou. If you launch your boat above the Long Sault stay in the middle until you get to the first corner when you can see the Barwick mill, then stay to the north side(canadian side) and when you get to the island at Barwick make sure you stay to the far north...stay close to the docks!there is rocks between Barwick and the island. After you pass Barwick lighthouse you can drive the middle until you get to the s-turn (there is a farm on the canadian side here) also lots of walleyes just outside of the creek here. This is where you'll want to stay on the canadian side (very close to the shoreline), you'll see another island coming up just before you get to the Manitou, about 200 yards before you get to the island shoot straight over to the U.S. side...drive the american side until you get up to the Manitou....make sure you don;t go to the canadian side to early cause there is a big sand bar coming out from the point straight over to the U.S. side.
If you need more info, email me and I can send you a google earth map with directions.
rainyriveradventures@hotmail
Always willing to help fellow walleye fishermen and women.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Minnow

Default Bump

Any shiners in the river? Once it hits I will head up. Tanks
Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Keeper

Just got back from baudette. River is really flowing from all the rain. Could not get a 3/4 oz jig down in reasonable distance. Went out the the lake and caught some small sauger and walleye about 7 miles out right on the Canadian border. I guess if you want to go out on the lake follow the resort cruisers at 8am or 12 pm. Do not go to Log Cabin for frozen shiners, unless you want 1 1/2 inchers. Good Luck. Kramer 2000