Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I Somewhat Regrettably Took The Plunge - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Wallhanger

Default I Somewhat Regrettably Took The Plunge

I've enjoyed archery hunting for many years. I just love being out there in the fall when you can simply enjoy a beautiful sunrise, and there is nothing like the thrill of a clean kill, the entire experience is just great. I'm 64 now, and I've had chronic neck problems having had multiple neck injuries. While I can still draw my Hoyt compound I pay dearly after every practice. So, after some research I purchased my first crossbow. I gotta tell you I am impressed with this bow, the Wicked Ridge G3 Invader by Ten Point. First let me say I never seriously investigated the $750 and higher bows, but that said let me tell you that this bow packs some incredible features and performance for about $500.00. I paid $489 for mine at our local hunting store and got 3 carbon bolts and 6 Omni knocks included. Most places are selling this bow for around $520.00. I read a ton of reviews and 95% gave the bow 5 stars. The bow features the 10 Point integrated draw system, Accu-52 but rather than go on about this bow I'm just posting so if anyone else is in the market do yourself a favor and take a close look at this bow.

So why "regrettable"? I worked my tail off to be reasonably proficient with a bow. I even switched from being rt. handed to lft. after developing a serious case of target panic. I've killed some nice bucks over the years from both sides. I can't imagine I'll ever have quit the same feeling of satisfaction with a crossbow, but at least I can still hunt the season.

Last edited by doubleheader; 08-12-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

Ya do what ya gotta do.

I have a buddy that due to physical reasons switched from a compound to a crossbow, he says while different, he's still out there hunting and enjoying the woods.

He also rife hunts too.

I have a Hoyt I use for bow fishing, good brand to buy imho.

Keep at it and enjoy what you can do, seems it should be more about the experience than the weapon.

Al
Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

I've got back issues and went to a crossbow several years ago. There's no shame in it. You will always have the guys that think it's not a true bow hunter. In short, screw em. I couldn't stand using a crossbow and missed a beast twice with it. I could punch arrows into each other when target shooting but out of a tree I just didn't have the accuracy for some reason. I ended up doing a lot of work on my back and went back to my stick bow and realized I didn't need to draw 70lbs to kill a deer. I now shoot 60lb draw weight and it's more than enough. There's nothing like the solitude of bow hunting and watching the woods come to life in the morning. Enjoy the fact that you still have a way to do that. Like Al said, you do what you got to do. Good luck this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

Nothing wrong w switching to the crossbow to keep ya going. That said, like stated above, turning down or going down to a smaller poundage bow can really help as well. I've seen people take deer with 30lb bows. No need to impress the deer w your lifting routine before shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

I use a crossbow. Has nothing to do with the hunt. Strictly a thin the herd device and the bonus is I get to eat some free meat.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Wallhanger

Think nothing of it. I sure won't when the day comes. I will be whistling all the way to the bow shop with great anticipation! They are great weapons. You've just increased your poundage and probably at least doubled your range.
I have been pulling 63 pounds for years. I check it every year just to be sure. 75 lbs........not for me!?!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a crossbow. Bow Hunters always try and belittle guys who shoot them. We are all out trying to enjoy the same sport. We always forget we need to support and celebrate other hunters no matter how we decide to take game. I do not own one but NY just introduced them a few years back. You can't use them during archery season but you can during muzzleloader or rifle season. If they ever allow them during the archery season I may splurge on one to see if I like it. One huge bonus I could see is that it would cut down on your movement on the draw when you are ready to take that shot. Not to mention if you are freezing your butt off it is hard to draw a compound bow.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Wallhanger

Just don't start using a spear!!!

Last edited by Sportdog; 08-26-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

PA season is over and I failed to get a kill. I had three legal, but quite small, bucks in range but passed. First year with the crossbow and it was an experience getting used to. First time I shot my decocking arrow I lost it.
Also I wouldn't recommend loading one in a climber unless you're a contortionist. Lessons learned. Anyhow, on to rifle season! Our weather in western PA has been decent but too many days on the warm side to suit me. That said I am aware of some really nice bucks taken here in Warren County including one that green scored at 162. There have been several reported in the 140 class as well. AR definitely works in PA.