Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird 1198 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-23-2012, 07:35 PM
walleyes133333

Default Humminbird 1198

Am I missing something or......best way is to use Y cable and hook in glassed in transducer and SI transducer on back of boat? How do you get temperature on this unit? Can't find that anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

I'm confused....(which is pretty normal when it comes to installs...lol) Are you saying you only have the glassed in transducer? Why do you need the Y cable if you're only using one transducer? The Y cable is to switch between two transducers, or so I thought.

You can purchase the Aux. Temp Sensor if you do not have a transducer actually in the water.

Did you look at the DVD with the operators manual on it yet?

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Glassed in will only send 2D 83/200 signal. If you need a glassed in Xducer, then you need the Y cable also. The HDSI transducer will go on the transom or step or jackplate etc and sends SI DI 455/800 2D 83/200 and also has the temp sensor on it. Should you hook up the Y cable, then that will disable the 2D sonar ping from the HDSI Xducer.

The first question should always include what kind of boat you are trying to mount on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post

The first question should always include what kind of boat you are trying to mount on.
I run the 1198 on my aluminum Crestliner 182 Tournament Series and I DO NOT run an extra transducer. It took a little tweaking to get the transducer adjusted properly but I have no issues running 49 GPS in 2D getting very good readings. Many started using two transducers for fear of breaking the SI transducer by hitting an object.

If running two transducers it does not have to be glassed in, just use a high speed transducer on transom or step and Y cable.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
I run the 1198 on my aluminum Crestliner 182 Tournament Series and I DO NOT run an extra transducer. It took a little tweaking to get the transducer adjusted properly but I have no issues running 49 GPS in 2D getting very good readings. Many started using two transducers for fear of breaking the SI transducer by hitting an object.

If running two transducers it does not have to be glassed in, just use a high speed transducer on transom or step and Y cable.
Good point Tom about the high speed on the transom with a splitter .

I also get 2D and SI to top speed (40)on my Crestliner 1750 TS without a second xducer
Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
Good point Tom about the high speed on the transom with a splitter .

I also get 2D and SI to top speed (40)on my Crestliner 1750 TS without a second xducer

I also did on my crestliner.

Now on my skeeter i have to use the y cable.

works out pretty slick.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Wallhanger

I always ran both the high speed ducer and the SI ducer. Both for better images and for breakage protection. Good call to, I've broken the high speed ducer twice in the last 3 years.