Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance Hds 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
dep167

Default Lowrance Hds 5

Currently i can only afford to get the hds 5 possibly with structure scan, all my money went towards the new rig.
Say if i do get the hds 5, will it work as good as the 7? (in the future i could have 2 hds5 units, than one screen could have side scan, the other 2d sonar. Current i have a 3 series humminbird that i would put on the wireless sonar on the bow.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
dep167

the boat btw is a lund impact sport model.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Wallhanger

The 5 is a great unit too. However, if you have the money for a 5/LSS1 combo I would buy a 7 now and save up some funds for the LSS1. You will appreciate the screen size later on.

-Eli
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
dep167

No one else has an opinion on this? I think im just going to get the 5 for now, than if i dont get 2 of them for the console i could always move it up to the bow and rid of the 3 series humminbird.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post
The 5 is a great unit too. However, if you have the money for a 5/LSS1 combo I would buy a 7 now and save up some funds for the LSS1. You will appreciate the screen size later on.

-Eli
I agree 100%
Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

-Eli

I had a 5, and upgraded to a 7.
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack

Last edited by Pezman38; 06-07-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Keeper

Default Hds-5/hds-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep167 View Post
Currently i can only afford to get the hds 5 possibly with structure scan, all my money went towards the new rig.
Say if i do get the hds 5, will it work as good as the 7? (in the future i could have 2 hds5 units, than one screen could have side scan, the other 2d sonar. Current i have a 3 series humminbird that i would put on the wireless sonar on the bow.

Thanks
For the money the HDS-7 unit verses an HDS-5 with StructureScan is a better buy in my book. First of all the HDS-5 is a very small screen size and to try and split screen it with StructureScan makes for very small screens side by side. How often will you use StructureScan? How often will you split screen the unit? These are the questions you need to ask yourself and some other questions I havn't even mentioned. The HDS-7 will give you a better split screen with sonar and chart/GPS and sometime down the line add StructureScan. Go with the biggest screen you can afford and then add StructureScan later. You will thank yourself after it's all said and done. This is just my opinion obviously and others will differ with their opinions I'm sure.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 PM
fishin24x7

Smile

save your money to buy atleast a hds 8. I use a 8 for 2d sonar and structure and and 5 for mapping. One day I hooked my structure scan to the 5 and the pictures were horrrible since the 5 and 7 don't have the display resolution the 8 and 10 have. Add the structure scan later, you will be alot happier in the long run.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin24x7 View Post
save your money to buy atleast a hds 8. I use a 8 for 2d sonar and structure and and 5 for mapping. One day I hooked my structure scan to the 5 and the pictures were horrrible since the 5 and 7 don't have the display resolution the 8 and 10 have. Add the structure scan later, you will be alot happier in the long run.
I disagree, I have a 7 on my bow and the structure scan looks good, I use it just as effectively as my console with my 8 so don't let that stop you.
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM
dep167

Thanks for the responses.

I can afford to get one hds 7 at the time but probably wont be able to get structure scan until next year.
What the guy at the shop was trying to get me to do is to buy one hds 5 with structure scan, and than add a second hds5 beside it and use the screens as full, not split. Therefore you have the whole 5" screen for structure, and another screen for whatever you choose 2d, downscan, gps.

I dont need top of the line products, i fish maybe 1-2 a week up in Ontario. Weekend angler lol, besides my 2 week vacation where ill be out every day. In the past i fished without a finder no problems. But would like one to search for structure, and mark spots on the gps.