Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Jack Plate - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Minnow

Default Jack Plate

What are the advantages of having a jack plate on a boat? Running high speeds or low speeds? I bought a 07 Ranger 619 with a 225 HO on it. Are the jack plates worth it?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

I find the jack plate on my triton has increased speed, as well as given me the flexibility of keeping the motor low for getting through the rough stuff, and raising it for speed as well as skinny water. I like it, but be prepared to re-prop if you buy a plate. Some props don't like too lifted.

I have a detwiler plate and it has been awesome. You turn a dial to the position you want and the plate goes there. Some you have to hold the up/down switch until you get it where you want and then stop. I think the knob is easier.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

Didnt do much on my 621 as far as performance. I still wouldnt have a boat without one. Nice to lift motor when launching or putting on trailer instead of hitting the lower on the ramp. Nice on shallow water too. Make sure you get the hydraulic lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

I added one on my WX2100 and picked up almost 2mph, nice also to lower down in rough water. Buddy added one to his 620 225etec and he gained 3-4mph. He tested like 4 props before he found one that worked well. He couldnt get the 4 blade he had to work cause it would just blow out.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Default jack plate

I went with a detwiler manual plate on my Triton 192 .I moved it up and down I like the ride in the rough stuff with it down so that is where it stays all the time now.I love the plate and would recommend the detwiler if you want speed then I would get a hydraulic plate.If I had a hydraulic plate I would be adjusting it all the time good luck
Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Minnow

I called ranger yesterday on this same thing. They said it may gain a few mph on top end for a 620 because of the hull but it can have some negative effects and in their opinion it isnt worth thecost unless it is on a bass boat. That was from the performance guy himself. I was going to do it too and with the minimual help i passed.