Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shorefishing at LBDN - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 11-15-2002, 07:10 PM
WalleyeWiz Jr.

Default Shorefishing at LBDN

I will be heading up that way to hunt on Sunday for a week. Am packing a couple of rods and tackle also .Any suggestions on any good shoreline areas to fish? Also what would you suggest using.
Thanks
WalleyeWiz Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2002, 06:22 AM
Bob G2

Default RE: Shorefishing at LBDN

When talking about shoreline fishing, I will assume wading. If you are not familiar with the areas, do check them out during the daytime so you don't have "any surprises". Between the Kipling fishing pier and Stemecs, there are a couple of gravel bars to wade on. You can also hit the Saunders Point by driving to the power plant, just be extremely careful as there can be strong currents and a quick dropoff with a sandy bottom. You can hit the area right by the Rapid River boat launch. On the east side, you can park at the Hunter Point boat launch and try wade out towards the point. It is shallow and sandy, but you will start to see some logs and stuff in the water that some fish may come into to feed at night. You can also fish from shore (non-wading) at Glastone Harbor mouth and Escanaba Harbor mouth. Shore fishing is also available down by Wells on the Escanaba River.
This might be the best potential daytime spot as the river is darkly stained. Remember, for most of these spots, check them out during the daytime for safety sake. Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2002, 06:30 AM
Bob G2

Default RE: Shorefishing at LBDN

In shallow flat areas, I would use a F-13 to F-18 charteuse/white rapala. Other colors would be black/silver and blue/silver at night.
If there is sufficient depth(that varies by location), then a J-13 rapala in the above colors, also perch and Orange/gold, a thunderstick
or similar minnow bait in the aforementioned colors. You can be amazed at how shallow these fish can get. That being said, avoid areas with any boat traffic as they spook shallow fish. It can also be good before sunrise as there is typically no boat traffic early. If they will let you, the area around Bayshore is good. There is a deep slot on the outside of their wall, and then the fish disperse to either the boat launch side, or to Lindberg's. I have caught fish early AM from Linderg's piers (I stay there also). If you do not have permission to fish it, you need to stay in the water to remain legal, though Bayshore's outer wall is too deep to safely wade.