Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How would you respond to Craig list response? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Minnow

I buy you boat unseen and trust you description. I send my driver with a certified cashiers check to pick it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 AM
stout93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Doc View Post
I would never invite a Craig's List stranger to my house. I would offer to meet him half way at a neutral site like a Walmart parking lot.

I guess I don't get this? I've sold and bought multiple (smaller type) items off CL and always have met at the seller's house, whether that was mine or theirs. Maybe I'm not aware, but I've only heard of a few cases where these go bad, and you factor in the MILLIONS of transactions that are taking place through CL, I think the risk is way low. Regardless, if a 'stranger' wants to go to your home, there are other ways for them to do this rather than buying something from you through CL.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Keeper

I'm with you, sold and bought tons. Met at many people's houses, several have come to mine. I have delivered items., Sure there are some case. I always go back to "Grand Torino"
" You ever meet a regular guy and after, you know you shouldn't have fxxked with" or something like that. Give them that impression.

I'm going to get a new prop for my main in a couple hours, off Craig's. All I know is 99% of people I have dealt with have been great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Smoke_N_Finn; 05-26-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footdoc55 View Post
About a week ago, I placed my pontoon boat for sale on Craig's list. I listed my email as the contact and today I received an email from a person about one hour from me. He stated he has cash and is willing to pay the full asking amount if I bring him the boat. An hour drive is no big deal but with all the scams and baloney out there, I am thinking of ignoring the email. I am in no big hurry to sell this boat and it is a very clean pontoon boat that is value fair. What would you do?

Give the guy a call and talk to him. Feel him out and see if he asks the right questions and go from there. Maybe he has a lake place but only a Prius and needs it put in his lake...who knows. Really what significant risk do you take for following up on his inquiry ?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turgeon View Post
Give the guy a call and talk to him. Feel him out and see if he asks the right questions and go from there. Maybe he has a lake place but only a Prius and needs it put in his lake...who knows. Really what significant risk do you take for following up on his inquiry ?
^ This ^
elite HDI-7
Old 05-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Keeper

Slip your 9mm Glock in your waistband and go sell your boat. :-)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Keeper

Just got back, saved $100 from buying new prop. Golden! man lucky I'm still alive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footdoc55 View Post
About a week ago, I placed my pontoon boat for sale on Craig's list. I listed my email as the contact and today I received an email from a person about one hour from me. He stated he has cash and is willing to pay the full asking amount if I bring him the boat. An hour drive is no big deal but with all the scams and baloney out there, I am thinking of ignoring the email. I am in no big hurry to sell this boat and it is a very clean pontoon boat that is value fair. What would you do?
Glad to see you are selling your pontoon boat. Always remember that admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery. It's not your fault, many like you have fallen prey to this disease. Now go out there and find yourself a walleye boat you can be proud of........
Old 05-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Wallhanger

Bought and sold on Craigslist. Have a couple of things listed there now. Just bought a F 150 to pull the boat I bought a few years ago.

The F 150 was paid for by a cashiers check that the seller ask me to take him to the bank and had it verified. I did tell him that a certified check only means that they are saying that there is sufficient money in the account but it still can be bounced before he gets to his bank. If you really want to accept a certified check take it to the bank it is drawn from and cash it for CASH only with your ID if not you might get screwed.

The boat was purchased from a Guy in Flint Michigan. Wife said I was crazy to go to Flint. Turned out to be a pretty nice section of the city and He was actually a cop and Yes I paid full price as it was worth the money.

Bought a 2007 Chevy HHR with 2200 miles on it from a guy on craigslist. He bought it for his wife and she decided she should not drive for medical reasons. He tried to sell it back to dealer but they low balled him. I gave him 2 grand more than that and basically got a brand new car for the depreciated value.

Nephew and I drove to Wisconsin to buy his 2003 Lund 1700 fisherman. Took it for a test ride and he paid cash. The guy did count it which took more time than we wanted and we turned and burned back to Michigan the same day.

Now if you want to read a horror story then read this string:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...uested.561458/
Old 05-28-2016, 06:36 AM
Keeper

I have bought 2 boats off of Craigslist (U.S.) and 1 off of Kijiji (Canada) in the last 5 yrs. All 3 sellers were excellent to deal with. BUT, with the Tim Bosma trial thats going on around here now it shows that things can go bad.