Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling batteries - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Looks like im the only one who has had bad luck with the walmart batteries. Ad a everstart maxx in my truck for about 2 months. when to start my truck one morning and nothing, no click, nothing.

Took it back for a new one. Same thing 3-4 months later.
Your not the only one. I will never buy another "never start" battery for anything I own.

-Eli
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbatman View Post
Definitely go with the biggest that you can fit, typically going to be a group size 31 (or a 29 as Johnson Controls calls it).

As for Walmart or Interstate, either one will do for you and most likely are the same guts inside as Johnson Controls makes both batteries. Decent chance that the Walmart or Interstate will be made in Mexico. I prefer to buy American so I look at East Penn, US battery or Trojan made batteries for the Made in USA label.

Biggest determining factor in the life of your battery is how well you take care of your battery. Properly maintain your battery and you'll get good life out of it. Abuse any battery and you'll get very poor results.
Johnson Controls makes many batteries for many different labels.

Quote:
The interstate srm-29's have 210 min RC. Run about 115 bucks.

I think they are pretty hard to beat for the money.

Looks like im the only one who has had bad luck with the walmart batteries. Ad a everstart maxx in my truck for about 2 months. when to start my truck one morning and nothing, no click, nothing.

Took it back for a new one. Same thing 3-4 months later.

They just developed a dead short inside the battery some how.

Put in an optima and never had another issue.

Just my experience but i wont own another Wally world battery.

Kinda like Wade and Mercs

Optima is owned by Johnson Controls as well, The same people who make wally's bats.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Keeper

Default Interstate Batteries

Made the decision today on batteries. Going to stay with group 29 deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor and group 27 dual purpose for cranking / electronics. Interstate is priced pretty good ($127 / $121 respectively) when you look at the reserve capacity / amp hours that they provide. My last set provided 5 1/2 years of service and hopefully these will do the same or better. Not too bad when you are looking at an investment of less than $70 / year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Wallhanger

Default You did good

I have group 29 for starting battery and group 31 Deka for trolling motor. I really would not want any more weight there beefy batteries! Both are almost identical in size
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
Johnson Controls makes many batteries for many different labels.

Optima is owned by Johnson Controls as well, The same people who make wally's bats.
If your saying these are essentially the same battery I will have to argue with ya.
I truely think these are 2.different classes of batteries.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Wallhanger

Default Optimas at one time were very best like 10 years ago or more

Today they are made in Mexico. I had one come with my Diesel rig standard and only lasted 4 years, walmart maxx would have beat it. Deka East Penn is made in PA USA
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Batter Ree

Default huh

Quote:
If your saying these are essentially the same battery I will have to argue with ya.
I truely think these are 2.different classes of batteries.
How do you get that he is saying that? Not an English major but how did you come up with that? What words convinced you of this?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Ree View Post
How do you get that he is saying that? Not an English major but how did you come up with that? What words convinced you of this?

He quoted my post, then stated that they were both made by the same company. then added the little winking man....
Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Today they are made in Mexico. I had one come with my Diesel rig standard and only lasted 4 years, walmart maxx would have beat it. Deka East Penn is made in PA USA

Beeman! Where ya been lately?

In my experiences,(probably 6-7yrs ago) the wally maxx certainly didnt have the optima beat at anything.....Other than failing.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBill View Post
Wade, You are calling these group 29 series batteries. I thought the Green tops were the group 27 series and the blacks were the 29's. Your picture shows the SRM 27 on them. What am I missing?

Bill
Sorry, you are not missing anything. I mis-spoke. I wanted 29's but I couldn't get three 29's in there. That's one of the reasons I went with the 36volt system.

Sorry, I've been promoting 29's for so long including wanting them myself that I forgot I've got 27's in mine.