Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
pontoons on erie - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 08-07-2000, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Default pontoons on erie

guys,
need some input on the safety of taking a pontoon on the big lake. i have a 24 ft w/9.9
i have seen some at some of the marinas but have never seen one actually out on the lake. i would really like to take my kids perch fishing but would like to save charter money when i own my own boats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2000, 07:39 AM
John

Default RE: pontoons on erie

Pantoon boats on Lake Erie is definately not a good idea. You asking for trouble trying to take a pantoon with a 9.9 or for that fact any pantoon. Erie can change from one to two foot waves to five footers in less than an hour. I certainly would not want my children on a pantoon. Sorry....
Old 08-07-2000, 08:01 AM
Keeper

I would say definite no go. I've seen one out on the lake in 2 footers and the people on it were about 4 miles out. That's freaking nuts!!!!! Why put everyone's safety in jeopardy over a few fish and a few hundred dollars. I had a pontoon for a while and got rid of it when I started to come to Erie. If you want to fish maybe you should think about doing the same. You can still have a good time with a bigger boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2000, 10:17 AM
Floyd

"Don't Do It"
Old 08-08-2000, 07:15 PM
paulisan

i was out last weekend around the island area and saw a pontoon out in the south passage and he was doing ok with a lot of boat traffic which makes the waves erratic and very rough he wasn't a speedster but no problem . i would try and pick a good day and a better location to take kids perch fishing in a pontoon. there are lots of spots close to shore all along the lake from the islands to the michigan shore to fish all within 1 1/2 hrs of each other so you can pretty much find the situation for a pontoon boat on a trailer anytime.
Old 08-08-2000, 08:14 PM
Minnow

DONT TAKE THE KIDS WITH YOU. LAKE ERIE CAN GET BAD FAST AND CAN SWAMP THAT THING FAST. TAKE THE KIDS TO A INLAND LAKE FOR A GOOD TIME DONT BE A FOOL
Old 08-09-2000, 07:35 AM
Erie Wind

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you have to ask
a question like this you obviously don't have
much experiance on the lake. Ask yourself if
you would be prepared to live with yourself
in the event (god forbid) of a tradgedy. Great
idea to take the kids perchin, and if you can't
or don't want to do a charter,perhaps consider
renting a 14' sea nymph from Charlies or Jordons
in Avon. You can go out on a calm day in Sept. or
Oct. maybe a half mile and do real good.If you
choose the pontoon,please,everyone...lifejackets!!
Old 08-09-2000, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Geeez! Let's just answer the guys question! I'm glad he thought to post here first. Maybe someone with experience in pontoons can tell us what conditions these watercraft are rated to safely withstand.
Old 08-09-2000, 08:13 AM
Eyemadman

Spend the 340.00 and go out with an experienced Captain. If you dont want to spend the loot go to an inland lake and catch perch crappie eyes. Ive been on many toons, but on erie those waves will be coming across the floor so fast you'll wonder what the heck am I doing out here. Its not worth it, there are other options, Bottomline its like bungy jumping.... you never know

Stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2000, 10:14 AM
Keeper

Dear, eyegetit, apparently you "don't get it" because the people on this board replying to this question (including myself) have a lot of experience on this lake. We know what kind of trouble the lake can produce in a short period of time. Common sense prevails in this instance, so yes indeed, I do believe I am answering the guys question. I can't say that there aren't instances where I wouldn't go out on a pontoon close to shore, but to venture out even a mile is dangerous, and even more dangerous with only a 9.9hp.