Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Advice on getting a second dog ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Keeper

Default Advice on getting a second dog ?

We have a nearly 3 year old Golden Retriever that brings us a ton of joy. I leave for work before my 2nd favorite blonde does (hope she doesn't read this), and I am able to get home for lunch each day, so he is only alone for approximately 6-7 hours a day. I realize this is all he knows, and is probably fine with it, but we both feel guilty leaving him alone. He really enjoys playing with the other dogs in our neighborhood, so we are contemplating getting another Golden as a companion. Any advice from others who have had 1 dog, and then gotten another, would be appreciated. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Companionship is a wonderful thing. It's a little more work, but it's definitely worth it. They keep each other company and having two dogs gives you double the love to enjoy.

I have always had two dogs (sometimes three at a time). I went last year with only one dog and I could tell she was kind of lonely, so I took in a rescue this past October that she liked right from the start, and they have been inseparable ever since.

If you can swing it, I definitely recommend it.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

We went from one to two dogs last year. First one is a golden. The biggest issue wasnt that our new dog was number 2 but rather it was a puppy with all the puppy needs. Luckily I work from home because I cant evern imagine kenneling a puppy for many hours. I that case I allow them a caged in area with newspaper on the floor so they can relieve themselves. There couldnt be an easier dog to live with than our 10 year old Golden. It makes me sad to think we dont have many years left but the energy our second dog brings to the house certainly livens things up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Keeper

i run 2 dogs . im down to 1 last fall had to put my setter down.i have a 3 year old large munsterlander.i like running 2 dogs not much got by them.ill get another puppy in 3 years. i like to have one old dog and one pup.i like to let the pup learn from the old ones.it works for me.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Minnow

Do you hunt with the retriever? I have an English Setter right now that I will be taking pheasant hunting for the first time this fall. I too want to get a second dog (consequently, a Golden Retriever) so he's got another dog to burn energy off with. It's amazing how much better they behave when they've got an outlet for that energy.

The point is, I'm getting a Golden because I've already got an upland dog, and I'll be able to use the Golden for waterfowl. IMHO, a setter would be a great addition to a Golden if you'd like two dogs that are very good at two different things in the field.
Humminbird 1199ci HD SI
Humminbird 1199ci HD SI
MinnKota 101 Terrova - I Link