Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Max IV 800-T - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Keeper

Default Max IV 800-T

Fellow Ice Fishers,

I have the chance to purchase a 2001 Max IV 800-T and will mostly be using it for ice fishing. It has 26" tires with no track system. How would this machine work here in Michigan for ice fishing, we don't get the snow like Minnesota does. Any help is deeply appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 07:25 AM
Keeper

I have never owned a max however, I did own an Argo 8x8 which is similar. Overall I was very disappointed as I thought it was the answer for the "do everything machine". On land it was very hard to turn especially the more weight you added, not to mention they have skid type steering which is not turf friendly not only in the yard but, food plots as well. In shallow water where the tires touched bottom very nice but, once floating extremely unstable with the slightest movement of occupants. Throw an underwater stump in there and it was downright dangerous. Probably the biggest limiting factor was the lack or ground clearance on snow because it will not stay on top of everything including snow and once high centered, not easy to pull out with nothing to anchor your winch to. I had a cab on mine which was nice and decided I would only keep it if I got tracks however, they were several thousand dollars and I decided an atv and polaris ranger were a better fit for my purposes. In the event you get one make sure it has a strong winch and battery and make yourself some type of grapple that that you you could put into the ice where you have augered a hole for self rescue.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

I hear there is a lot of maintenance to those type of units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Slot Fish

I have an Argo 8X8 with tracks, these types of machines are totally different than anything else. There is definitely more preventative maintenance that must be done or major problems will ensue, having said that if you keep on top of the maintenance they are not too expensive to keep running. Tracks are pretty much a must to fully reap the benefits of the machine, there are several styles and brands with + and - to each. The best way to describe how these machines work with tracks is you are a Rockstar when going through Hellish driving conditions( muskeg, mud, snow ect.). When you get to good driving conditions you will hate the machine, they are made to go slow(no suspension just tires) 12-18mph MAX. Although AATV`s float they are still not foolproof, if you break through the ice unevenly they will take on water and sink. Another problem if you break though the ice and are floating is getting back up onto the ice, driving back on can be done in some conditions but is very rare, you would need the appropriate gear to get the machine out. With tracks I would drive my machine on ice that I dare not walk on because of the very good flotation (low ground psi). A AATV loaded up with gear and people will go where no snowmobile or ATV with tracks would go, get a snowmobile up to speed and then it is a different story. If you do not have that much snow and want extra flotation JWHEELZ are also an option. Hope this helps, there is so much more to think about but I think I have covered most of the main points that will help you. One more thing to think about is buying an AATV used, you can get a poorly maintained or abused machine that looks okay and runs that will need thousands in repairs to be in good order.