Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Yar craft Fuel gauge - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Keeper

Default Yar craft Fuel gauge

I have a 1999 Yarcraft 1785 SC and my fuel gauge is not working, not sure where to start, when you turn the Key on, The gauge does go to full but doent move from there, Is there a sending unit somewhere I should check, Getting to the tank is a job, I can only get to the top of the tank VIa access port on the back by transom, I can get to the wire but dont see any sending unit or anything but wire on top of the tank >. Where to Start ?????

Last edited by fishmonkey; 07-25-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Wallhanger

Do you have a voltmeter? The sending unit is a variable resistor that is usually set up with max resistance with the tank full and minimum when empty. A float moves the arm that varies the resistance. There should be at least two wires connected to the sender, a ground wire and the signal wire. If either one of them is loose or broken you have an open circuit and the gauge will read full. If you connect them together, the gauge should read empty.

Jerry
Old 07-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

As Jerry pointed out, do both a voltage and ground check for each of the wires on the tank.

The one wire that is coming from the gauge, will be somewhere in the 12 volt range.

The other wire should be ground.

For the ground, do a double check between the ground terminal of the tank and the actual battery ground to be sure that the ground is connected at both ends.

A good possibility is that you have a bad or loose ground wire.

The sensor is at the end of the fuel tank float. This is normally accessible by removing the multi screw port on the top of the tank that should be around the two wires on the top of the tank.

REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Keeper

Default Fuel tank

Sound easy enough I try this in the morning ..
Thanks All.
Fishmonkey