Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
keeping mice out of your boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Slot Fish

Default keeping mice out of your boat

In the process of getting the boat ready for winter storage and I got to thinking about mice. What recommendations do people have to keep mice out of a boat?? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Keeper

This was brought up not too long ago.
Pretty good advice.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...highlight=mice
Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
This was brought up not too long ago.
Pretty good advice.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...highlight=mice
One thing I would add is I usually put a piece of plastic sheeting over the exhaust (in the prop center) and tape it tight with electrical tape. It cost a friend of mine a motor job once when the tiny livestock built a nest up inside the motor.

Al Denninger
Point12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Wallhanger

Default Feline power

This usually works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crazy-cat-main_full1250640312.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2662  
Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

The advice about D-Con is good. It will attrack the mice. D-Con is a poisoned bait. Place it outside the boat, not inside. Be careful about placement. You don't want to poison your dogs and cats, or have kids get into it. It is generally warfin based and causes internal hemorrhaging. Mice will have time to damage your carpets and seats before death.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Unlogged Auggie264

I had mice get into my wiring a few years ago. After that time I place moth ball throughout the boat. I put them in little tupper ware containers w/ no lid. I haven't had an issue since.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:30 AM
Minnow

I have always used fabric softener dryer sheets stuffed in any orifice that might work for a means of ingress. I also place them strategically around the inside compartments. I have never had a rodent of any sort in anything I have stored and you don't have the unpleasant smell of mothballs.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:34 PM
cbeachey7

Moth balls. I have used them for years and have not had a problem. I tear a styrofoam coffee cup in half and put a few moth balls in each and place in all compartments and a couple along the floor
Old 10-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 View Post
I have always used fabric softener dryer sheets stuffed in any orifice that might work for a means of ingress. I also place them strategically around the inside compartments. I have never had a rodent of any sort in anything I have stored and you don't have the unpleasant smell of mothballs.

In my boat a couple of years ago, the mice used the dryer sheets in my boat for nesting material!! Every piece of it I had was full of mouse urine and feces. I had several sheets of it in every hold in the boat.

My pest control guy says use D-Con.

But, like the prior post says, it is warfarin which causes intestinal bleeding to kill the mice. You don't want your cats/dogs eating the dead mice, so be careful!

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong
Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Winnebago walleye.

Angry Felix on steroids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeboom View Post
This usually works for me.
Hey eyeboom, where can I get a cat like that? We just retrieved our Lund from the barn after 2 years and the plywood floors (carpeted) are soaked with mice pee. I power washed with Jungle Jake and then with bleach solution. The odor still takes your breath away. I had a half full shop-vac of nesting material and 8 mice that got sucked up and had already rebuilt their nests inside the vac!
I will use mothballs going forward but any ideas for the stench??