Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The every other year wait!! "Killing Me" - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

Everyone has to make the best decisions for their family, and I won't judge anyone else's decisions.

But for me, not going North at least once a year is not an option. I'm going, and that's that.

For 51 weeks a year my family is my number one priority. Diaper changes, help with homework, T-ball games, beach vacations, in-law visits, home repairs, paying the bills etc etc etc.

But for one week a year ......well, you guys know.

Granted, I have an incredibly agreeable wife. Although last year was the first time in 15 years that she complained .... apparently she didn't like being left alone for 10 days straight with three kids, one being a baby. It didn't help that it was the first week of school for the two older kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimon View Post
Everyone has to make the best decisions for their family, and I won't judge anyone else's decisions.

But for me, not going North at least once a year is not an option. I'm going, and that's that.

For 51 weeks a year my family is my number one priority. Diaper changes, help with homework, T-ball games, beach vacations, in-law visits, home repairs, paying the bills etc etc etc.

But for one week a year ......well, you guys know.

Granted, I have an incredibly agreeable wife. Although last year was the first time in 15 years that she complained .... apparently she didn't like being left alone for 10 days straight with three kids, one being a baby. It didn't help that it was the first week of school for the two older kids.
I agree with MrSimon, including not to judge others' circumstances and decisions. I also agree about the 51/1 issue: I work hard and spend most of my time helping my wife and two daughters with myriad needs (ranging from coaching sports to doing dishes to helping with homework). It's constantly loud and hectic in our house and the one week I year I can totally unwind is fishing with one or more of my best friends up north.

I'm sure I'll miss the chaos when kids are grown and am in no hurry for that to happen, but especially so long as things are crazy I treasure the calm during my annual (this year will be my sixth in Canada) fishing trip!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 AM
Wallhanger

Default The every other wait!! "Killing Me"

When I asked my wife to marry me, she knew how much I enjoyed fishing. When we were first married and had no kids / two incomes, two weeks of fishing was common.
Fast forward 30 years and three kids, I have to save my pennies and work a second job to go fishing with the younger son. Other kids don't enjoy fishing for a full week.
As a way to thank my wife & ensure my future fishing trips, I urged my wife to go on vacations with her girlfriends. When she mentioned Las Vegas for a 4 day trip with her friends, I said go for it. Gave her several hundred dollars from my part time job to really enjoy herself out there.
It's only fair given how many times she. Has stayed home with the other two kids.
(She would tell me that my leaving for a week is her vacation!!)
Garmin