Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you leave your gear in the boat? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

Been to Canada many times and never took anything out of the boat and never had an issue. The only problem I ever had was at Leech Lake, went to the boats one morning and all the rods were cleaned out of all 5 of our boats. Around 100 top end combos, about half were actually either prototypes or not on the market yet. Lodge owner said he'd never heard of it happening before but when the Sheriff got there he said he has to come out to one lodge or another at least every week for the exact same thing. Off the record he said he was quite sure they were already on the reservation where they would be shipped to other people on other reservations around the country to be fenced or sold in other ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Slot Fish

never take it out unless to work on gear. knock on wood.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Wallhanger

We leave stuff in the boat unless it is raining when we get in or fully expected to rain overnight. Never have had a problem. Later, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Keeper

I typically leave my stuff in the boat unless it's raining all night or if something needs to be tinkered on. Never had issues- I hope it stays that way, pretty sad if people are stealing out of camp boats
Old 04-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Only bring in tackle box as it has camera, binoculars, etc. that I really don't want to lose or get damp. Pretty comfortable at the camps we fish at. If I were not comfortable, I'd find another camp.

Once had some rods broken that were not in the rod locker, but I'm pretty sure it was camps dogs scrounging during the night.

Long time ago someone stole my wife and my life jackets that were setting on the cabin porch while we waited for the group leaving to clear out the cabin while we ate breakfast. Pretty sure I knew where they went, but could never prove it so just dropped it.

Interesting question though.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 04-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Keeper

Everything stays in the boat, if we thought we needed to pull stuff from the boat, we wouldn't be fishing there.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Keeper

I stow almost all my gear in non-lockable rod lockers or compartments when at drive in lodges with my own boat, but I always take my tackle box in with me. Too many crankbaits in that box to risk. Graph stays on the dash, but I am thinking about locknuts to secure that. Only had one problem at a lodge in northern MB when gas was stolen from my boat while on the trailer in front of the cabin right before we left. Lodge owner could not have cared less. Never been back to that one.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:07 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Only bring in tackle box as it has camera, binoculars, etc. that I really don't want to lose or get damp. Pretty comfortable at the camps we fish at. If I were not comfortable, I'd find another camp.

Once had some rods broken that were not in the rod locker, but I'm pretty sure it was camps dogs scrounging during the night.

Long time ago someone stole my wife and my life jackets that were setting on the cabin porch while we waited for the group leaving to clear out the cabin while we ate breakfast. Pretty sure I knew where they went, but could never prove it so just dropped it.

Interesting question though.

Pooch
Hey Pooch,
Does your wife talk to you about what happened when she was stolen, or are her lips sealed? Sorry, had to tease you about the way that was written!
Old 04-12-2015, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Gear

In the 30 plus years I have been going we have never had an issue with gear being taken from the boat. I have heard of it happening but not by any other fisherman at the camps I was at. I cover my electronics sometimes, grab the cooler, and pickup the trash and bait containers everything else stays in the boat. One thing I do is fold my seats down and bring a dry rag to wipe off the dew so my butt isn't wet first thing in the morning. I keep my boat fenders in a bucket on the dock secured if it is windy and then use that bucket to bring the eaters up to the fish house. I have used my landing net before and then found out I did not have it in the boat when it was needed.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
Hey Pooch,
Does your wife talk to you about what happened when she was stolen, or are her lips sealed? Sorry, had to tease you about the way that was written!

Since my wife is a retired teacher, she would have made a red circle around the way that was written and chastised me for poor grammar (again). After I reread it, it sounds the way you read it.

Is see you're from Eureka. Not far from us here in Dunlap.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."