Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Harvest - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gonefishin View Post
ha! I wasn't addressing you, just in general and agreeing with the different size year classes that bobby mentioned.

I agree with your last statement, however, always lots of walleye discussion going around in Ohio and netters don't really get brought up too much, unless its where to avoid them on the lake. SOME guys did blame slow summer perch on netters, weather whatever but fishing picked up and guys shut up!

Yeah, you don't really hear too much complaining coming out of OH ever. Coming or going during the seasonal migrations, you guys are right in the middle and effects are the least. On the MI end and over on the Eastern basin though, where the numbers are more noticeable, people love to come up with some boogey man to blame it on, and that's usually netters or people keeping limits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post

Yeah, you don't really hear too much complaining coming out of OH ever. Coming or going during the seasonal migrations, you guys are right in the middle and effects are the least. On the MI end and over on the Eastern basin though, where the numbers are more noticeable, people love to come up with some boogey man to blame it on, and that's usually netters or people keeping limits.
Have you ever fished NYS Lake Erie waters because it sure doesn't sound like it from your posts.

As I have mentioned once before we have two basins of Lake Erie in NYS waters. Our very east end near Buffalo is much like the Port Clinton and Sandusky, Ohio basin with some reefs and bottom structure where we can catch walleyes that mostly forage the bottom. Then there is the area from the Pennsylvania state line until Dunkirk, NY that has a vast amount of deep open water where anglers target suspended walleyes. Between these two basins our walleye is nothing short of fantastic and has been ever since the killer gill netters have been outlawed. NO bogey man here to contend with.

Again, we have NO commercial fishing ANYWHERE in NYS waters for any species and we have a world class walleye, perch and bass fishery here. We have anglers from all over the world coming here to charter boats out of Buffalo, Catt, Dunkirk and Barcelona Harbor.....and they can double their pleasure with a very short trip to Lake Ontario for King Salmon, Lake Trout, Brown Trout and Steelhead.

So you keep bring up netters in every post and it may be a problem in Michigan and Ohio but not here in NYS Erie waters and everyone here is HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.......Got to go, fish on....
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gonefishin View Post
I agree, and even believe that some of the year hatches in recent history are better than the numbers say they were, current, wind, migration etc play a large roll on the trawl numbers that take place. They can only estimate based on the trawl samples, if the little guys moved east or north and didn't get caught in the trawls then the numbers won't reflect, doesn't mean they aren't in the lake. I know this year guys caught YOY walleye all over the lake, we caught 10 one day perching east of Cleveland 80 miles from where they were born. EVERYONE caught them this year, one good hatch does absolutely amazing things for the lake. I remember spoon fishing off Lorain in 04 you literally couldn't keep a dipsey rod with a spoon on, a little guy would nab it every couple minutes, made fishing for keeper impossible.

The last couple years we have definitely had a mixed bag of pigs, fish in the high teens, low 20s and mid 20 inch fish ranges. You get your limit, you would end up with fish ranging from 16 inches to 31 in one day, I did it all summer.
Yep, I really don't give a lot of credit to some of these creel censuses, but rather judge from my fishing experience on how the Lake is doing on any given year.

Walleye and perch move in huge schools when they are chasing bait fish and you can kill them on Monday and not get a fish on Tuesday because they move 10 miles one way or the other.

Since the mid 80's our walleye fishing is GREAT and the perch fishing has been on FIRE.....

I have read where Ohio and Pennsylvania are considering lowering the perch take per man to maybe 25-30 fish and NYS may also in the near future because of the take some of these meat fisherman are taking on a daily basis. I personally know a few that are retired and fish almost every nice day for perch and "box out" (50 per man per day) just about daily before they head in. I'm not sure what they do with all those fish but I pretty sure they are selling them. This I can't see.....
Old 12-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Have you ever fished NYS Lake Erie waters because it sure doesn't sound like it from your posts.

As I have mentioned once before we have two basins of Lake Erie in NYS waters. Our very east end near Buffalo is much like the Port Clinton and Sandusky, Ohio basin with some reefs and bottom structure where we can catch walleyes that mostly forage the bottom. Then there is the area from the Pennsylvania state line until Dunkirk, NY that has a vast amount of deep open water where anglers target suspended walleyes. Between these two basins our walleye is nothing short of fantastic and has been ever since the killer gill netters have been outlawed. NO bogey man here to contend with.

Again, we have NO commercial fishing ANYWHERE in NYS waters for any species and we have a world class walleye, perch and bass fishery here. We have anglers from all over the world coming here to charter boats out of Buffalo, Catt, Dunkirk and Barcelona Harbor.....and they can double their pleasure with a very short trip to Lake Ontario for King Salmon, Lake Trout, Brown Trout and Steelhead.

So you keep bring up netters in every post and it may be a problem in Michigan and Ohio but not here in NYS Erie waters and everyone here is HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.......Got to go, fish on....
OK, OK, I give. You're right. Fishing was terrible with netters there, when they were bought out, the fishing suddenly became world class, No other factors but those netters, even though walleye migrate all through the basins , there's never been a bad year or fluctuations since, spawns and hatches don't matter, nothing to do with management, all the land of milk and honey since the netters were gone, and the only barometer for the health of Lake Erie's walleye population is Bobby's catch. I got it now!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
OK, OK, I give. You're right. Fishing was terrible with netters there, when they were bought out, the fishing suddenly became world class, No other factors but those netters, even though walleye migrate all through the basins , there's never been a bad year or fluctuations since, spawns and hatches don't matter, nothing to do with management, all the land of milk and honey since the netters were gone, and the only barometer for the health of Lake Erie's walleye population is Bobby's catch. I got it now!
What management are you referring to IN NYS LAKE ERIE WATERS......did you know 3 years ago the NYS DEC raised the limit on walleye to 6 fish from 5 fish it has been since they put a limit on walleye many many decades ago. WHY.........not because the population was down here or maybe with your analysis of how to "manage" Lake Erie.........

You keep preaching about a Lake you don't fish and especially the eastern part of the Lake you may have NEVER fished. Is that my fault you make up stuff as you please to back up your own made up facts.

Last edited by Juls; 12-18-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have read where Ohio and Pennsylvania are considering lowering the perch take per man to maybe 25-30 fish.
Ohio's perch limit has been at 30 for years now.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 12-18-2015, 03:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
Ohio's perch limit has been at 30 for years now.
OK, maybe it said that in the article and it's Penn that it looking to lower it's perch limit. I hope NYS does the same.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
OK, maybe it said that in the article and it's Penn that it looking to lower it's perch limit. I hope NYS does the same.
PA's perch limit on Lake Erie is already 30 as well.

PjShorthorn.