Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury 60hp big tiller command thrust - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Keeper

Default Mercury 60hp big tiller command thrust

My local dealer is offering what seems to be a very good deal for a 2017 Mercury 60hp big tiller.

However, he says to get the big tiller option without ordering it as a separate part (more expensive) then I have to take it with the Command Thrust lower unit.

Does anyone know if this is the way Mercury is shipping them?

Also, how is the CT lower unit and prop going to handle with the big tiller? From reading here it sounds like they can be a bit of a handful under full torque type situations.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 AM
Wallhanger

I can't really help with your question but I bought a 115 command thrust last year. It's a 115 with a 150 gearcase. I can't help but think a heavier gearcase is a good thing that in theory would be more durable. I don't know why Mercury came out with the command thrust. Were they having lower unit issues?
Old 01-27-2017, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

I typically use "Ed's Superstore" as a baseline for model numbers and pricing, and it pretty much confirms what your dealer told you, the CT version is certainly more cost effective, so that tells me they are pushing that combination.

I run a non-CT 60 Big Tiller, and with the length of the Big Tiller handle, steering torque is a non-issue. I'd put a 4-blade SpitFire prop on 'er, and enjoy. Keep in mind, the "GA" version means gas-assist, so it does not have power tilt & trim.

http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/-...-table-mercury

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60ct.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	239514  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 07:55 AM
Keeper

Thanks guys, pretty much confirms what I have been able to dig up as well.

I don't have a problem with the CT version in fact sounds like it may be an asset for low speed maneuvering etc.

I am looking at the ELHPT model with power trim and tilt.

Thanks for the link, if Ed's Marine is a good barometer, then I am getting a decent deal on the same motor from my local dealer.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Minnow

The command thrust lower unit was designed for heavy load or heavy boat applications that would benefit from a larger footprint in the water for durability and getting up on plane.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:08 PM
Wallhanger

Hot runner, what diameter and pitch of Spitfire are you running? 14 x 13 ?
Old 03-15-2020, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
Hot runner, what diameter and pitch of Spitfire are you running? 14 x 13 ?
SSH, on the non-CT 60 I was running on a 1650 Rebel XL tiller, I ran the 10.3"D x 13"P Spitfire.

HRG
Old 03-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

Thx. My son and I bunked with you at High Banks a few years back at a Walleye Central get t get togerther.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:15 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
Thx. My son and I bunked with you at High Banks a few years back at a Walleye Central get t get togerther.
Aside from pontoon applications, I'd advise against a four blade prop for command thrust motors.

The displacement isn't there to spin these larger four blades and you'll lose more top end than you'll gain. This is not the case with regular thrust engines.

Marshall