Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1850 dc fin craft - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Minnow

Default 1850 dc fin craft

Has any body fished out of one of these? I like the price, I like the way they are built but I'm
Now looking for the expert opinions. I want a ranger or triton but they are out of my price range. The startos 386 is also grabbing me but I'm looking at 33000 compared to 26500 for the fin craft. I'm looking to get down to Wisconsin in a few weeks to try one out with a 150 opti. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Keeper

In most cases, you get what you pay for
Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Minnow

As a whole if it is not a Lund or Ranger most are not very interested in giving you advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooknup View Post
Has any body fished out of one of these? I like the price, I like the way they are built but I'm
Now looking for the expert opinions. I want a ranger or triton but they are out of my price range. The startos 386 is also grabbing me but I'm looking at 33000 compared to 26500 for the fin craft. I'm looking to get down to Wisconsin in a few weeks to try one out with a 150 opti. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I had a chance to take a ride in one a few weeks ago, not bad. As far as "getting what you pay for"...kind of. If I compare it to my Ranger 1850, the Fin doesn't have the "Nice" trim/fitNfinish, sealed lids, sparkly gelcoat, etc. Is it a case of getting what you pay for, or cutting out the crap one doesn't need to keep cost down?? Does one need the "fancy" interior trim panels with integrated handles...or will bolt on handles work just as well?? Bow panels, gauge panel...rather than the "wood grain" of my ranger the Fin has a simple access hole on the bow, and no wood grain behind the gauges. Extra gauges, designated fuse panel...are they needed or just add cost? Do we need the sparkling gel coat $$$? Do we need the wrap around, molded windshield, or will the "cheaper" 5 piece windshield of the Fin do? It seemed to me they kept it simple, made a nice boat, cut out the stuff that isn't needed and only add cost. It seemed like a very fishable, family friendly boat. We never had a chance to run the boat all out as the lake was big that day, but it handled the big water well.

Go out and look at the upper end 1850's, Ranger, Skeeter, Lund, Yar, Stratos, Alum., etc. Take a look at the Fin, you will see the differences I speak of. But are those differences worth 8-15K more??

BIRDDOG

Last edited by went522; 07-18-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default Hmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooknup View Post
The startos 386 is also grabbing me but I'm looking at 33000 compared to 26500 for the fin craft.
Stratos has a $2000 rebate on any boat with a 150HP Mercury, if someone is still trying to charge you $33,000, RUN!

We have one for sale for $28,515 after rebate (freight/prep and legal included, plus tax), and it's VERY well equipped........
Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Minnow

Default Where are you located?

I'm in upper Michigan the one I found was with a 150 yamaha and had a kicker. I'm definitely looking at getting a fish n ski,keeps my kids and my newly moved in nephews happy.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Wallhanger

I looked at this boat last fall and one of my biggest concerns was putting a kicker on this rig. The transom sits in a way that a kicker may not be an option. Grant you, this was last fall, and things have surely changed since then. The dealer that I considered, told me that a kicker could be mounted, but its a "certain type of bracket", and they were not sure it would 100% work. At the time, I had some concerns, and contacted a couple other fincraft dealers and asked them if a kicker could be installed. The answer from them was, it was NOT possible. A couple weeks later I was contacted by some "higher up" from Fincraft (I can't remember the name, but it was last august, and if you are reading this, you know who you are.). He told me that there were a handfull of those boats out there that had kickers mounted on them. I asked him how they were mounted on those boats, and told me that his dealers would have the information that I needed. I also asked him if he could send me pictures of the kickers mounted on those boats. He said he would gladly e-mail them to me ( yes I gave him my e-mail addy, twice verbally)...... I gave him my e-mail address and NEVER heard one word from them since. That is my experience with Fincraft.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Minnow

Default @tube jig

I was wondering that myself about the kicker the dealer told me he could put a pro kicker on there for me. I guess in 2 weeks I will see what it looks like in person. Another dealer also said no kicker so I'm up in the air myself or I get the minnkota elec on the big motor