Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
F Class rifle competition - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

Default F Class rifle competition

Thinking of getting into this with a 308 rifle and was wondering if anyone's tried it?

USMC 1967-1971 Once a Marine always a marine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Wallhanger

I wish there was a place around me to shoot this. From what I've gathered the 308 is not a very popular round for F class. I would take a look at the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

I should have clarified that I was referring to the F-Class/Target Rifle (F/TR) category.

"In addition to the F-Class Open, there is F-Class/Target Rifle (F/TR) category, which is restricted to .223 Rem. and .308 Win. In this competition, shooting is off a bipod with a rifle no heavier than 18.15 pounds."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Keeper

Been to a few and if you think fishing is an expensive hobby wait till you get hooked on that. I would run a 208 amax out of a 26 inch plus bartlein bbl with one of the single shot actions so as to load long and run a night force comp scope with one of the good bipods that are designed for flclass shooting. Find a good smith to put the gun together get all the reloading stuff to measure every thing down to a knats a$$ and have fun.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I was thinking about a Savage 12 F/TR which tips the scales at 12.65 lbs, in 308, and can be purchased from Buds for $1,166.00.

For the scope I was thinking about a IOR Valdada 3-18x42 SH MX-6 Tactical 35mm which runs $1,675.00 and uses glass from SCHOTT GLASSWERKE in Germany.

I used to reload a long time ago but I'm thinking about getting a Lee hand press, which imho is pretty much anyone needs who's only doing small batches.

Sinclair makes some nice stable/wide bipods for a reasonable price.

Berger makes some very nice bullets, that match the twist in the Savage and their 168 gr Match Hybrid target has a nice BC, so I'd probably start with that and judge the results, loads etc. Since I'd be doing some 1,000 yard shots I'd want to make certain that any bullet I use wouldn't come close to going subsonic and while a heavier bullet does have its advantages I would want the best BC I could shoot, provided the rifle likes it.

If course if I get really into it I can see the $'s could mount up pretty fast.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:16 AM
Keeper

the berger is a great bullet but seating depth can get tricky in the factory guns with long throats but being ftr loading single shot not an issue as you can load them one at a time. In my rem 308 i ran out of mag length with the bergers. I would not tell my enemies to use and ior great glass( people get way to caught up on where glass is made it is the coatings that count as they are all ground to a spec regardless where it comes from) but the adjustments have proven to be inconsistent at best and if issues arise qc is not the best. Good glass gets you no where if the bullet does not go where you think it is.

these guys know way more about ft/r than i ever will as i shoot more on the tac side of comps some good info and reading here.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5529
Old 09-17-2015, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=suntracker;ior great glass( people get way to caught up on where glass is made it is the coatings that count as they are all ground to a spec regardless where it comes from) but the adjustments have proven to be inconsistent at best and if issues arise qc is not the best. Good glass gets you no where if the bullet does not go where you think it is.[/QUOTE]

All of the reviews I've read on IOR have been positive but all I'm doing now is dd, so could you please furnish me with a couple of links regarding "inconsistent at best and if issues arise qc is not the best'" I'd appreciate it cause if that's the case I won't be purchasing any IOR's.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Keeper

just look under the scope section on the hide i dont have time right now to find the links. Also i think the ior is a ffp scope and for f class you will want a finer reticle and sfp.

found this not really about ior but best fclass scopes. If you want to talk to some one about what would work for you give scott a call at liberty optics he is a good guy and can usally swing a good deal.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5511&t=13792930

Last edited by suntracker; 09-17-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Wallhanger

I volunteer at a range with a bench rest and F-class shooter. The Savage will get you into the competition, but the winners will likely be using custom actions and barrels from the same sources the bench rest guys use.
I'd advise doing it for fun, serious competition gets really pricey. A match-grade barrel will cost as much or more than the whole Savage rifle, and you will still need a really good gunsmith to build the rifle.
Have fun, it will make coyote/prairie dog shooting easy, because you will learn to dope the wind.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Keeper

Bartliens are 300 bucks is that what a savage is going for now.