Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Why wont Lund / Crestliner make a higher Deadrise? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 04-22-2007, 09:43 PM
yustanidea

Default RE: Why wont Lund / Crestliner make a higher Deadrise?

IPS hulls of new vintage are terrible. Shallower deadrise, rougher ride, but more pad-like hulls for faster speeds. YUK. So you pull into a dock and the hull ski's left or right, almost unresponsive to the wheel because the hull is floating on top of the water, like a canoe with no keel.

Older Lund hulls were much better IMO. My 17 Mr. Pike was terrible for tracking, forward or backward at low speeds. Maybe less a problem if the boat was 35' long and a keelson.

Newer marketing of hull, IMO, sounds great.......performs less well than the old design. ALSO with wider hulls, use of roller trailers remains problematic because the hull sides hit, or almost hit the fenders on many trailers. No work around. Narrower hulls were better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
s

You guy's didn't know that lund and crestliner are the makers of gortex did you??? You can't run eihter boat without a $500.00 rain suit. I should know. I own both( lund and rain suit).lmao

js
Old 04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

My 1850 SF Crestliner has a F115 Yamaha.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Sorry, I disagree.
Todays motors are bigger and heavier and people add kickers. Livewells, multiple batteries, jump seats (passengers), etc...all add more weight to the rear.
The "old style" hulls cannot handle nearly as much weight in the rear.
The result of bigger, new tech engines and multiple engines being put on old style hulls is -> complaints of porpoising for one...and for another... some fishing boat companies with old style, simpler V hulls, can't even offer Verado engines on their hulls. IPS handles them beautifully.

You can plane a Lund IPS hull much quicker, easier and with much less power and at speeds lower than you could with the old style hulls.
It isn't hype...it's physics.

Dead rise at the back of the boat is not very important, the front portion of the hull is what splits the waves, not the transom.

Look at the rear of most new Glass boats. Same thing.
You don't see a big old deep V at the transom.

I have never experienced this wandering as I pull up to a dock... that you speak of...so I don't know what to tell you on that.
But, as far as roller trailers go...yup, roller trailers don't like to load straight, especially if backed in deep at all..... They never did. No matter whose hull or what shape.
If you want to load straight, get a bunk trailer.

If you would like an on water demonstration on anything talked about here...come and I will demonstrate the advantages of the IPS hull, including problem free loading onto a bunk trailer.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Minnow

Crestliner does have a deeper dead rsie than what you see inthe catalog or on line!
Crestliner boats are built with a variable degree dead rise. what this means is that if the boat has a 12 degree dead rise at the transom, the degree increases as you move forward to the bow.
this has several advantages. #1. It allows the boat to come on plane withless HP.
#2. The dead rise increases at the bow of the boat, this gives a better ride at the point where you are hitting most waves.
Welded Aluminum boats are the only aluminum boats that are able to do this
Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

>Welded Aluminum boats are the only aluminum boats that are
>able to do this

John...somebody has misled you. Welding is simply one way to hook two pieces of aluminum together and has nothing to do with what shape it ends up.

Go look at a Lund IPS hull...and measure the angle of V front to back. It VARIES. It is a much steeper V at the bow ...than in the rear. Go look at other riveted boats: Alumacraft, etc... you will again see the angle is not the same despite the fact they are not "welded". Look at any "v hull" aluminum 14' boat. The angle varies no matter how the aluminum is hooked together.

And then what about those reverse chines on IPS Lunds?
What do we do about them when measuring the angles?
Do you deduct them from the dead rise?

Naw... Like you said. There is a lot more to hull design than width or the deadrise.
Hulls are more complicated than that.
And then... if it is a lot of deadrise way back at the transom...is it a good thing?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Butter Cutter

How come Trackers and Rangers have that famouse butter cutter style front end hull?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Risen dead

First, it is good to know what deadrise is.
Deadrise: the departure from flat at the widest part of the bottom of aa boat hull boat. the higher the departure 9number measured) the more deadrise.

more to read:
http://www.marisafe.com/news/article...mode=1&aid=114
Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 AM
DSJR

JUST LET ME KNOW AFTER YOU HAVE A FEW MILES TO RUN AND YOUR GOING OVER 3 FOOTERS IF 19 DEGREES "AT THE TRANSOM" MEANS ANYTHING.I THINK THAT STARCRAFT IS THE ONLY BOAT MAKER THAT HAS 19 AT THE TRANSOM.THEY ARE BY FAR THE SMOOTHEST RIDE ON THE WATER.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
mr.big

Another thing that should be pointed out in this post is that if you are running 40+ mph in your 3 foot waves the front of the boat is not "butter cuttering" through the waves the only part of the boat that is touching the water is the rear quarter or less! I have owned both a Ranger619 and now a Lund and some of these statements from folks who haven't owned either boat are just plain funny! Also your Butter Cutter nose of the Ranger has disappeared with the new hull design if you haven't noticed. If you want a real "Butter Cutter" look at a Warrior hull.

The flared hull will benefit you by keeping water spray away from the boat....which a Lund can't do so buy good rain gear but I would have to disagree about the soft ride concept here.