Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ray's Camps On Ramsay Lake Ontario... Has anyone fished here - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Keeper

Default Ray's Camps On Ramsay Lake Ontario... Has anyone fished here

I was just asked to go on a trip to Ramsay Lake the first week in June. One of the guys going was there last year for the first time. The trip is unbelievably affordable, and all food is included. We have gone to Savant Lake in the past, but the total cost to go there is now over $1000/man from central Ohio. This trip is half of that. Has anyone ever been to this lake? Is the walleye fishing worth the trip? I know the experience will be worth the price, but I will be trading a week at Lake Erie in June to go there.

Thanks,\
Tracy
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Keeper

Default Ray's Camps On Ramsay Lake Ontario... Has anyone fished here

I was just asked to go on a trip to Ramsay Lake the first week in June. One of the guys going was there last year for the first time. The trip is unbelievably affordable, and all food is included. We have gone to Savant Lake in the past, but the total cost to go there is now over $1000/man from central Ohio. This trip is half of that. Has anyone ever been to this lake? Is the walleye fishing worth the trip? I know the experience will be worth the price, but I will be trading a week at Lake Erie in June to go there.

Thanks,\
Tracy
Old 01-14-2002, 04:49 PM
John

Default RE: Ray's Camps On Ramsay Lake Ontario... Has anyone fished here

Tracy I go there every year. It is worth the trip. We usually catch betweeen 25-30 walleye day per person. Most of them are between 2 and 5 pounds with your some 8 ponders thrown in there. We catch most of the fish backtrolling the shore line in 5 to 10 feet of water. We mostly use Jigs tipped with nightcrawlers. We usually go up there the first or second week of June. You will not see any other boats on this lake except for the people you are staying with. It is that remote. It has a slot limit on the walleye. Also you must bring your own bait up with you. Make sure you bring clothes for every type of weather. I was up there one year the first week of june and we had snow. The next year we were up there the Temp hit the mid 80's. Bring a lot of bug repellent. I have been going up there for the last 15 years. Pete and Thea will take care of you.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2002, 04:49 PM
John

Tracy I go there every year. It is worth the trip. We usually catch betweeen 25-30 walleye day per person. Most of them are between 2 and 5 pounds with your some 8 ponders thrown in there. We catch most of the fish backtrolling the shore line in 5 to 10 feet of water. We mostly use Jigs tipped with nightcrawlers. We usually go up there the first or second week of June. You will not see any other boats on this lake except for the people you are staying with. It is that remote. It has a slot limit on the walleye. Also you must bring your own bait up with you. Make sure you bring clothes for every type of weather. I was up there one year the first week of june and we had snow. The next year we were up there the Temp hit the mid 80's. Bring a lot of bug repellent. I have been going up there for the last 15 years. Pete and Thea will take care of you.....
Old 01-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Keeper

John,
Thanks for the reply! I will be going there this summer the first week in June with 3 other guys from central Ohio. Are you going that week? Have you done any good on Northerns? We are primarilly going to fish for Walleyes, but i would like to catch some Northerns also. We used to go to Wildewood on Savant Lake, but costs have risen above $1000 from Central Ohio. The fishing there was outstanding, 75 to 100 eyes a day per man. Figured out the Lake Trout on my last trip.
The camp looks great, and the cost is real nice! I hit their website last night and am excited about the trip, but had to know about the fishing. Do you do any casting for walleyes once you locate a school. We did that at Savant and would fish til the minnows were gone! then we would trol and cast for pike.
May see you in June,
Tracy
Old 01-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Keeper

John,
Thanks for the reply! I will be going there this summer the first week in June with 3 other guys from central Ohio. Are you going that week? Have you done any good on Northerns? We are primarilly going to fish for Walleyes, but i would like to catch some Northerns also. We used to go to Wildewood on Savant Lake, but costs have risen above $1000 from Central Ohio. The fishing there was outstanding, 75 to 100 eyes a day per man. Figured out the Lake Trout on my last trip.
The camp looks great, and the cost is real nice! I hit their website last night and am excited about the trip, but had to know about the fishing. Do you do any casting for walleyes once you locate a school. We did that at Savant and would fish til the minnows were gone! then we would trol and cast for pike.
May see you in June,
Tracy
Old 01-17-2002, 03:11 PM
John

Tracey,

I never really fished for Northerns up there but we do pick quite a few of them up when we are fishing for Walleye. So I would guess there is a healthy population of northerns in Ramsey. Usually once we locate a school of walleye up there we anchor the boat and do cast for them with jigs and sometimes we throw slip bobbers at them with nightcrawlers. Like I said that time of year you will be fishing mainly in 5 to 10 feet of water. Also you will have to bring your own bait up with you because he does not have any up there. The boat ride to Ray's Camp is very pretty so bring a camera along with you. As far as us going up there this year we do not know which week in June we will be up there yet.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:11 PM
John

Tracey,

I never really fished for Northerns up there but we do pick quite a few of them up when we are fishing for Walleye. So I would guess there is a healthy population of northerns in Ramsey. Usually once we locate a school of walleye up there we anchor the boat and do cast for them with jigs and sometimes we throw slip bobbers at them with nightcrawlers. Like I said that time of year you will be fishing mainly in 5 to 10 feet of water. Also you will have to bring your own bait up with you because he does not have any up there. The boat ride to Ray's Camp is very pretty so bring a camera along with you. As far as us going up there this year we do not know which week in June we will be up there yet.