Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
very low recoil deer gun - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Id use a .223 with a 62gr barnes TSX. While I certainly wouldnt recommend such a small caliber in most cases, the last thing you want is your little one scared of recoil.

The x bullet will penetrate whitetails no problem. Stay away from any of the regular softpoint type bullets in this caliber though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Another option would be a 60gr nosler partition...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/891...tion-box-of-20
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Wallhanger

I somewhat agree with papascott. its best to practice with a 22 but they need to shoot whatever there going to hunt with a few times just to get the feel of the gun.

but I recommend a 410 or a muzzleloader loaded with a light bullet and 70 grains of powder is plenty. these guns will kill any deer at less than 50 yrds with no problem. a 410 or a muzzleloader bullet put where it needs to go is much better than a bad hit because they jerked the gun.

I actually contacted one of the major muzzleloader companies about the lightest load they would recommend for there gun and I was told 60 grns would be the lightest load for hunting deer. so I figured a 70 grn load behind a light bullet would be a good option.

whatever you decide if you could put a good recoil pad on it it would make a lot of difference in the felt recoil. when I started hunting my youngest son with a shotgun I had an old 16 ga Remington I cut about 5 inches off the stock then put a good slip on recoil pad on it. my oldest son started with a 45 muzzleloader with 70 grns of powder. he shot his 1st deer with this gun and load. the deer ran about 15 yrds and went down. a well placed bullet is more important than the size of the bullet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

My daughter also wants to hunt the Iowa youth season. She is about 5'5" so I didn't worry about recoil too much. I got her a NEF Ultra SLug 20ga. Its had some irritating issues so far. At first the pin hit the primer but it didn't fire. I figured the hammer had been back for 2 years or however long the gun had been in Scheels. That issue lasted exactly 3 rounds and hasn't happened in the 27 rounds since then. The first round that didn't fire I threw into some weeds but after that I pulled the hammer back and shot it again and they fired then. Then today I was shooting Winchester BRI sabot slugs and the first one didn't eject. The ejector didn't pop out. I dug at it with my pocket knife and it came out and I shot 9 more times without issue. So I have shot 9 Remington Premier Accutip which shot well with substantial recoil but those weren't available locally. Then I shot 10 Hornady SST which didn't shoot nearly as well and also had the same recoil. Next I shot 10 Win BRI slugs which didn't recoil much but went wherever they chose. I could not keep them on a 2'x3' piece of cardboard. I will try some more SSTs I have and if they don't get better I am back to the Remingtons which I have to drive into a larger town to find. I have had my daughter shooting a .17 HMR so get used to using a scope and keeping her cheek down and squeezing the trigger. She will be fine. She wont notice the recoil on a deer. I had her shooting at 1" squares. When I told her that a deer has a target the size of a milk jug she said that cant be too hard to hit. I said it isn't, its just easy to miss.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Noah Cantell

Default Mag-na-Port

Look up Mag-na-Port out of Michigan. They comp all sorts of firearms including shotguns. They promise as much as 30% reduction in recaoil in some cases. Not exactly cheap, but they do the best job on the market and once done it last a lifetime. Then there's a Mercury tube insert for the butt stock. It will reduce recoil even more. With the reduced loads and recxoil pads, plus shoulder protection in the garments worn, everyone here seems to endorse, total recoil reduction should amount to somewhere below 70% reduction.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Noah Cantell

Default THe Rest of The Story

Please be gentle with this - I don't want to be "punched in the nose". However, My wife is 5'1" and 122 pounds. Her first trip to the trap range with me she shot 17 for 25 with an 12 ga. 870 pump. Never complained, never got hicky pits. The other side of making things easy for our kids is that if done too often and they are faced with something hard to do in the future, they will likely if not for sure fail to get it done adequately.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Cantell View Post
Please be gentle with this - I don't want to be "punched in the nose". However, My wife is 5'1" and 122 pounds. Her first trip to the trap range with me she shot 17 for 25 with an 12 ga. 870 pump. Never complained, never got hicky pits. The other side of making things easy for our kids is that if done too often and they are faced with something hard to do in the future, they will likely if not for sure fail to get it done adequately.
Wouldn't it be nice if slugs kicked like trap loads
Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Noah Cantell

Talking "Wouldn't it be nice if slugs kicked like trap loads"

They will iand they will be less than so if you follow my earlier advice. Point is start small and grwo larger applies to anything we experience.

Seaguar makes the best fishing line anywhere.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Cantell View Post
Look up Mag-na-Port out of Michigan. They comp all sorts of firearms including shotguns. They promise as much as 30% reduction in recaoil in some cases. Not exactly cheap, but they do the best job on the market and once done it last a lifetime. Then there's a Mercury tube insert for the butt stock. It will reduce recoil even more. With the reduced loads and recxoil pads, plus shoulder protection in the garments worn, everyone here seems to endorse, total recoil reduction should amount to somewhere below 70% reduction.

make sure every one has ear pro on when that muzzle break pops other wise there will be un happy people. many others make muzzle breaks and man na port would not be at the top of the list. the lil ******* or any of the offerings from apa perform better as proved in a lot of comps where spoting your miss is the difference from winning and losing. low recoil give me a 243 slinging the 85 tsx with no muzzle break and proper shooting technique will instill more confidence and equal meat in the freezer more times than not.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

In my opinion a child should not have a semi-auto. But that's just me.