Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Buying a fish finder " Any help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Minnow

Default Buying a fish finder " Any help

I have a Lawrance Pro that just died on me . I have a Humming bird color finder that I am moving from my back boat transducer . I am putting that on my front Trolling motor . I want a better one now for the back . I heard so much about plotting so I think I want that feature . I am thinking about the DSI Lawrance or the same in Humminbird . The unit I am looking at is the Lawrance Elite 5 DSI fish finder with chart plotter . I see they have the same unit without the DSI and is in color . I saw bad and good reviews on The DSI or the same version in the Humming bird . Any help will be appreciated . I know this is a touchy subject some have sponcers and stuff . I am just looking to make sure I get a good unit since I am spending more money this time . I see The Lawrance Elite 5 DSI finder with chart plotter is on sale for $100 off at $379 at Gander mt . Thanks for any help . Jack Dohm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

You can quickly get into a brand name flame war with this subject, but all the major brands make nice units now. You need to go look at some demo units and determine what feels best to you. Ease of use, customizations, look of the screen, how you fish, these are all things unique to you. I would look at that. The actual abilities of the units to find fish, target separation, power, all will do a good job on those.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Wallhanger

For the units you are considering, the Humminbird will give you 2d sonar and down imaging. If you go with the Lowrance you listed, it only comes with DSI, so no sonar to mark fish. I have had many people return their units to the store when they discovered they could not get 2d sonar along with the DSI.
If you want DSI and 2d sonar you have to step up to the Elite 7.
I recommend Humminbird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Minnow

The both views was something I was woundering about . One looked like had both views and the Lawrance looked like DSI only . Is the DSI or whatever Hummingbird calls theres better or worse then the color screen without that . I mainly walleye and striper fish at some smaller lakes in my area . The plot charter looks like will improve my fishing . Heres a warning for somebody like myself . I left my finders on the boat during drive time . I dont have far to go and the screen bracket broke during travel . I will never leave the finder on during travel any more and a warning for anybody like myself not to learn the way I did . Thanks for the info and I will be trying to decide witch to buy . Jack
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

Whats your price range? My old boat had a Humminbird 788ci which had regular 2d sonar and gps, then i switched to a 798 with side imaging and down imaging. Honestly the 2d and gps is all the average person needs. Down imaging is a nice feature but is less useful than 2d sonar if you ask me. I now run Lowrance but just because i got a good deal on an HDS 7
Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Minnow

I am thinking under $400 and thats more then I have but I want the chrt plotter . I was looking at thie unit here and I may be going away from DSI now . I here the same things about the DSI . http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Elit...SSSELL_PRODUCT This is the unit and leaning toward at this point .
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

Seems like a good unit. Can't really go wrong with either brand. I've owned both for 20 years, on both boats at the same time. For whatever reason I always have lowrance on the dash and bird in the bow. Just updated all sonar this year with 3 hds and a 858 link. I like both brands and don't have much problems at all with either
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Minnow

I went with the Lawrance I posted . Thanks for your help. Jack