Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I found my fuel line problem, check this out! - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Wallhanger

Will someone post the info. from BBC. i tried but could`nt. make it work. Man, you could hit some people over the head with a hammer and they would say Oh, no that was a frying pan. It must have had ethanol in it and that made it look like a hammer!! Wiredog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Wallhanger

JohnG, you might have to rebuild your pulse fuel pump also.Or at least take it apart and check. The junk would get in the pump also if it got to the filter. Wiredog
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredog View Post
JohnG, you might have to rebuild your pulse fuel pump also.Or at least take it apart and check. The junk would get in the pump also if it got to the filter. Wiredog
I've thought about that, I was hoping the filter would have caught it, but the pulse fuel pump rebuild kit is cheap, and I think I can do it myself, so I'm going to order one from Don over at BBC and do it to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Keeper

I am with REW on this one, to me it does not look like deteriorating lines but more like varnish like residue from the fuel.
Not disputing that it is ethanol related problem,
I would send it for chemical anylasis just to be sure.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher-1 View Post
I am with REW on this one, to me it does not look like deteriorating lines but more like varnish like residue from the fuel.
Not disputing that it is ethanol related problem,
I would send it for chemical anylasis just to be sure.
Did you look at the links that Jim Carroll posted?? Wiredog
Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I've thought about that, I was hoping the filter would have caught it, but the pulse fuel pump rebuild kit is cheap, and I think I can do it myself, so I'm going to order one from Don over at BBC and do it to be safe.
Thats a good plan.If your filter is in the VST like mine the gas goes through the pulse pump first. I buy parts from Shermes Marine also. Sherm is a good guy and gives the BBC discount and lets you pick his brain. Wiredog

Last edited by wiredog; 03-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredog View Post
I did mine and it is pretty easy. You probably could get by with just cleaning it out but the kit is cheap. Lines, bulb, pulse pump, filter. Thats what you will need.

And dont forget the kicker lines if you have one. My merc kicker had the filter before the pulse pump so it was lines and filter. Also replace the fuel lines on both sides of the filter on the kicker. They were falling apart on my '04 merc 9.9
Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

Heres some BBC links that show these problems and discuss ethanol.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?...mer-bulb-first

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?...to-your-engine

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=114216

I think that should pretty much answer anyone questions on ethanol. The last is Mercury's view of ethanol use.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

Does anyone know when they started using the newer lines on the Merc's?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
I said in my original post that a chemical analysis was necessary to verify the source of the deposits. What could be clearer than that statement?

REW
Oh, I don't know...maybe your statement that it was deposits from evaporated fuel (at the top of the thread).

If I was putting $100 bet on what this is (especially after looking at the linsk provided with more analysis and pictures that look very similar to what the OP posted) I'd bet that it was due to ethanol breaking down some part of the fuel system (lines, bulb, filter). Do I know for sure? Nope.

Scott