Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
hds8 gen2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Minnow

Default hds8 gen2

Could someone explain the steps i have to do to get a voltage overlay on my hds8 gen2. I recently installed this unit along with a optima d27m that runs my livewells, electronics and is used for starting. I would like to keep an eye on my voltage to see if this battery is going to keep up for my aplication. My lss1 runs when my hds8 is on, did not put it on a switch.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Keeper

One way is to go to Settings-Page-Overlay and then to Edit Overlay. From there you can add, configure, change or move the overlays. Just remember, every "page" is unique and needs to be personalized.

Another key comment, once you have all of the overlays the way you want them, save your settings under the Uitility-Files page. That way should something happen to the unit or if you upgrade, just load those settings and the unit will be set up the way you want instantly.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by looken View Post
...explain the steps [I] have to [perform] to get a voltage overlay on my [HDS Gen2].
See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...ataoverlayMenu

for instructions on creating and editing a data overlay on a particular PAGE of your HDS.

There are two options for monitoring voltage as a data overlay:

--If you want to monitor the voltage of the battery connected to the engine, select the data source from the BATTERY section and choose the option BATTERY VOLTAGE.

--If you want to monitor the voltage that is supplied to the HDS itself, select the data source from the OTHER section and choose the option SUPPLY VOLTAGE.

This is illustrated at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003145.html

Last edited by jhebert; 05-29-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Wallhanger

I have same unit and have heard improper voltage can cause issues. What kind of voltage drop (or gain) will start to give issues with this unit? I have never seen a number. I should probably put the overlay on as well.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
I ..have heard improper voltage can cause [malfunctions].
All electronic devices depend on having the proper voltage to operate properly. This is not unique to the Lowrance HDS.

Quote:
What kind of voltage drop (or gain) will start to give [malfunctions] with this unit?
Operating voltages that are outside of the operating voltage range will cause malfunctions.

Quote:
I have never seen a [specification for the operating voltage range of the HDS].
Lowrance lists the operating voltage range for the HDS in their specifications for the device. See

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...pecifications/

The operating voltage range is specified as 10 to 17 Volts DC. If you supply the HDS with an operating voltage outside of this range, you should anticipate there will be a malfunction.