Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hand held radio ship to shore - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Walleyeguru705

Default Hand held radio ship to shore

Hey guys I was looking at a radio for my boat that is handheld and under 150 bucks. What are some things to look for since I'm new to these? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

Default Fixed Mount

Not sure where or how you plan on using it, but a handheld only has a 5 watt transmitter and a fixed mount has a 25 watt transmitter, 5 times the power, couple that with a 6" antenna on the handheld vs. a 4-8' on the fixed mount and the handheld range is not very good. I have a buddy that has a Lowrance handheld and I have a Lowrance LVR-880 fixed mount, in Canada his radio is pretty much useless, I can talk to everyone else in our group, but not him. If you want a radio that works when you need it, I would suggest spending a little more $$ and get a fixed mount, the last thing you want is for it not to work when you need it the most!! I like my Lowrance, but would also consider a RayMarine Ray 49.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

1860 is right on the hand held range/power, I use a Uniden Atlantis 250 hand held. Don't expect it the go very far on lakes that have a lot of woody shores or lots of separated bays. It's worked well for what I've needed it to do though. Mostly it's on for weather reports, chatting with buddies or just plain being nosy listening to other people. I mostly use it on wide open lakes and rivers. I did have it on Lake Erie two weeks ago and was talking with people that were out of eye shot. I wouldn't count on it to call in a tow from 10 miles out but then again 99% of the places I fish have cell phone coverage. I didn't want a big antenna and fixed mount radio taking up space on my dash either.
HB Helix 12/SI & 1198SI
101# Terrova w/IPilot
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I agree 100% with the guys. And like everyone has said I didn't want the fixed "in the way" either but you will be glad it is there when you need it and honestly I don't even notice mine any more.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Wallhanger

I bought a handheld for my small boat and got tired of being unable to hear and be heard, so I got an adapter, stuck an 8' antenna in a rod holder and tied the two together. Handhelds have good range if you use a good antenna.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Wallhanger

Default Better, yes but good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I bought a handheld for my small boat and got tired of being unable to hear and be heard, so I got an adapter, stuck an 8' antenna in a rod holder and tied the two together. Handhelds have good range if you use a good antenna.
I agree that it will be better with a longer antenna but not good, the handheld still only has 5 watts of transmitter power vs. 25 watts with a fixed radio. The fixed will be much better if distance or obstacles are a concern.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Wallhanger

Years ago, before these radios became popular, we used CB's. The range on them was much better than the little hand held radios of today.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyeguru705 View Post
Hey guys I was looking at a radio for my boat that is handheld and under 150 bucks. What are some things to look for since I'm new to these? Thanks
At the less-than-$150 price point you will just get a basic hand-held radio. You should consider:

--the transmitter power
--the receiver sensitivity
--the resistance to damage from water
--the battery life