Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
the taste of muskie - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post
It's good, but I prefer bald eagle. The meat's much more tender.
Taste a lot like baby seal.
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

The issue of C&R is all over internet fishing for most popular species of fish.The dominant species in the systems we fish are always guarded and found to be above harvest.By law if you can keep I'll not judge you.What I practice myself is 90% of the time C&R,I've never kept a musky nor would I ever think to unless I hurt it beyond revival.I guess the bottom line for me is if it is a naturally reproducing musky population then it should be 100% C&R if it is a put and take then keep what is allowed by law for consumption.Don't ever keep a fish of any kind for the trash can or for a skin mount(same thing)

Just my $.02

FC
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid coulson View Post
Anyone eatin any?Is it better,same or worse than pike?Just curious.
The original post is over 10 years old so Kid C may never read this.

Why do some bass and musky fisherman think that their species are sacred and only meant for C&R? What if walleye or pike are at the top of the food chain in a lake? What is the difference between eating a 24" eater sized pike or musky? I'm trying to learn the reasoning of sportmen, not start a typical WC trash talk.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiojmj View Post
The original post is over 10 years old so Kid C may never read this.

Why do some bass and musky fisherman think that their species are sacred and only meant for C&R? What if walleye or pike are at the top of the food chain in a lake? What is the difference between eating a 24" eater sized pike or musky? I'm trying to learn the reasoning of sportmen, not start a typical WC trash talk.
I'd imagine it's so they can catch more and bigger what ever they're going after?

In a wayward sense it does bring up the question of, when does a musky reach it's prime reproduction age and at what point does it taper off measurably?

If it tapers off to a small percentage when they reach the legal limit to keep them, might it be better to keep them over the limit and allow for more room/food/whatever for the younger more reproducing fish?
More fish, smaller, better?

I don't know, just wondering.

Al
Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 AM
wax

Default Muskie

When Muskie fisherman stop keeping the 20in + walleyes they catch muskie fishing I will stop keeping legal Muskies.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
I don't keep them but enjoy fishing for them at times, but if you legally do so, it's up to you whether you keep one or not.

Personally I don't care, musky inc and other special interest groups have dumped them fish in lakes whether the locals want them or not, just so they can have more places to fish them.

C&R is just a stop gap that's doomed from the start, what we need is less people.
Pollution, starvation, depleting the natural resources, destroying natural habitant to put up buildings, yup, less people is the cure.

That ought to ruffle a feather or two..

Al

Less people would solve the majority of the worlds problems.....
Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Wallhanger

When Walleyes are at the same density as Muskies I'll let all of them go as well...till then; heat the oil and get the cracker crumbs shakin.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Keeper

I wonder how many people that preach not to keep fish on fishing sites actually keep all theirs.......Alot easier to catch a stringer full if you get everyone else to release-em!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
I only like the cheek meat in the musky, so when I catch them I cut that portion off and return it to the lake. The musky in my lake are not so cheeky now and are more predictable.
And are going to have a harder time squeezing off there
Old 01-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Slot Fish

Wink C&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Less people would solve the majority of the worlds problems.....
Then we should stop the C&R of criminals and illegals!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Minnow

Muskies are a fish to respect (like all fish),....until you have really tried to catch them, sometimes it is hard to understand why we throw them all back. Walleyes, crappies, perch.... that's where the good eating is anyway. Besides you don't want to eat a fish with MCWD! Good fishin everyone!