Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Advice and specs, if able? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 AM
Slot Fish

Default Advice and specs, if able?

I have owned 3-4 fiberglass boats as family ski boats. They are great for that but most are VERY limited on fishing.

I made the change to aluminum on my latest boat because I mainly fish walleye up north. You do not want to find yourself near rocks with fiberglass. You will end up needing a second job for repairs.

If you do look at fiberglass, Ranger and Larson both make a good fish & ski, but Triton Escape 220 is the best fiberglass crossover on the market and the Allure 206 is great as well. They nailed it.

Of course you could still look aluminum. The Crestliner makes a transom called an SST. This is a great compromise if you get the 1950 or the 2150.

I ended up purchasing a Mirrocraft. I didn't want to spend $50k on a boat and fishing was 60% skiing was 40%. So I spent $35k on a boat that had the room in it and I added a good pylon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Wedge; 04-21-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the ideas, Wedge! I'll hit those websites and start looking around.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRack View Post
I hear ya, soshad. You make some great points! I wish that were an option. I've thought about that, but it's not really something I want to do. We don't have a side yard of the house that could accommodate it. The back yard is huge, but rolls downhill. I don't know that our neighbors would like our boat sitting in the driveway either, lol. We just moved to the neighborhood a few weeks ago...I don't want to become "that" guy.

So, let me now run this by you folks. I posted up on a local, Kansas fishing forum last night and received a response that made me rethink my approach.

How much wind do these walk-thrus block? The warm months here get really hot and muggy. I've been more worried about trying to block the wind thinking it would chill the family. The reality is that they will probably only be out on the boat in the Spring-Summer months. I could see myself, and possibly my son, fishing in the cooler months, which we could dress for. This gentleman said he has a friend that bought a walk-thru and has been kicking himself ever since due to the "hotter" ride now.

I'm now thinking a side- or dual-console actually does make more sense. I'll probably only ever use this boat in Kansas, and possibly some OK/TX trips once in a while. What say you guys? It would make this a whole lot easier.
I fish exclusively in OK, I cant imagine not having a full windshield. It wll block a ton of water, and it extend your season a month early and a month late due to the wind block. Also if you get caught out in a rain you can duck behind the windshield on the way in.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Minnow

I've got a Lund Impact 1850 XS with full windshield and LOVE it! I looked at the smaller Rebels and smaller impacts. The winning factor for me was the jump seats over the flip up casting deck. I too have a wife and kids and went with the full windshield for that reason only to find out that most of the time my kids go sit up front when we are moving. They don't come out when it is windy or choppy and they don't really fish. That being said, on days that I have been out fishing that windshield has kept me dry and warm. The Impact XS has a tow pylon. Take a look at the Lund Crossover. They sit a bit lower and from the sounds of it, it is exactly what you are looking for.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Minnow

Scott & JCNodak, thank you both for your comments.

Thankfully, I do have a list of some walk-thru boats now that look like they will work. I'm going to look at the specs on the Impact XS again, but I think it was a bit too tall still if I remember right.

I got a quote from a dealer on a Rebel 1750 XS @ $29,xxx. Also in the running are a Starweld 1700 Sport/Ski ($30,xxx) and a Smokercraft Ultima 172 ($28-29ish). There are still others to consider, and these may be ruled out at some point, too. Hoping to find some Alumacrafts to go look at.

The members here at WC, both in this thread and via multiple PMs, have been great. Thanks for helping this noob out.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Minnow

I will almost guarantee the Impact will be too tall but the Crossover might not be. They sit lower on the trailers for some reason. Oh, and I am a noob too. More noob than you.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNodak View Post
I will almost guarantee the Impact will be too tall but the Crossover might not be. They sit lower on the trailers for some reason. Oh, and I am a noob too. More noob than you.
Challenge accepted, lol.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Minnow

The Crossover 1675 might work @ 6' 6". The 1775 was 6' 10", unfortunately.

The Impact 1675/1775 side consoles would work, too, if we go the SC route.