Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question for those of you who get afternoon flights - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default Question for those of you who get afternoon flights

Flying out of Wawa at 1:30. Kinda stinks because nobody wants to wait THAT long to get out.

Prior plan was to avoid crossing in Sault Ste Marie until after 7pm as I don't want to wait in a long line. (My research says 4-7pm is the worst and we're headed up on a Friday). Once we crossed, we'd have about 3 hours until we reached the hotel to call it a night. Now that we have all morning with just a 3 hour drive, I'm more inclined to call it an earlier night and stay in Sault Ste Marie.

Any cheap hotels you recommend in Sault Ste Marie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Flying out of Wawa at 1:30. Kinda stinks because nobody wants to wait THAT long to get out.

Prior plan was to avoid crossing in Sault Ste Marie until after 7pm as I don't want to wait in a long line. (My research says 4-7pm is the worst and we're headed up on a Friday). Once we crossed, we'd have about 3 hours until we reached the hotel to call it a night. Now that we have all morning with just a 3 hour drive, I'm more inclined to call it an earlier night and stay in Sault Ste Marie.

Super 8, check in get a good meal, sit in the hot tub, have a beverage or 2, hit the hay early, enjoy the last 3 hrs of drive time, and have a great fly in.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

I fall on the side of crossing and getting there as soon as you can. Even if you have to wait the next day it's better than having some unforseen delay making you miss your flight. Flat tire etc. Crossing early gives you the extra time to deal with anything unplanned.

THEN, you can enjoy those beverages before you get on the plane. Have a nice relaxing plane ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Did you get a fourth?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Minnow

Default Warning

I came back from Wawa last week. On the way we crossed at Noon on Friday with little wait to get into Canada. I know you said 5pm for you but here is the warning. We left Saturday back to the states and crossed back around 11am and the line going into Canada was a monster. Also check out this site.

Gives you the current wait times.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/list.../#.U9GRpPldXng
Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Keeper

Quote:

We always stay at the Holiday in Express at exit 394, next to Lake Superior University. You can see the US customs & the Duty free from the parking lot. Not the cheapest out there, but clean rooms, a nice pool & hot tub area, & a respectable hot breakfast bar.

I get hotel points on my Visa card, so many of our trips are comp rooms. We've stayed there a couple nights a summer (we take 2 trips per year) for the past 8 years.

Fish
Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Did you get a fourth?
Long story short, no.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Wallhanger

Scored the Comfort Inn and Suites in Sault Ste Marie for $73. Not bad for a decent room to feed us breakfast on top of it.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Wallhanger

Meh, if it was me and I had a 1:30 flight I'd do one of two things. First call Martin and ask if I could fly out of Chapleau instead with Canadian Airventures in the hopes I could get flown in earlier. Second if things stayed status quo I'd leave at 1 in the morning and get there just in time to fly in (downside is that'd allow me an extra day of work )
Old 07-27-2014, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

Forgot to mention, if you're overnighting in Wawa the Mystic Isle Motel off 17 just south of town is far and away the nicest motel in town. Not even close.