Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
To all GUN SLINGERS - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2008, 07:47 AM
GF 95

Default To all GUN SLINGERS

OK I have a 45, a 380 and a 410 with pistol grips.
usually all loaded and within reach. No permit to carry...
Did not want to put with other post about home protection.
Now here is the question?

IF YOUR NEIGHBOR WAS BEING ASSAULTED AND THE PERSON HAD A GUN WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

My answer would be dial 911 tell them I was on my way to help neighbor and was armed, and include discription..

Now here is the problem you are not in direct harm, but kill the guy and save neighbor.(I would not wound the guy as I can see a lawsuit)Most cases a hero, but more than likely you would go to jail, I would ask for a jury trial.:rock-on:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Minnow

Default RE: To all GUN SLINGERS

most of my neighbors would call me before 911 living in the country waiting for the police is not a option. I would help my neighbor with lethal force without batting an eye. You would be suprised how many law enforcement persons would help you in creating the perfect defense
" better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 "
Old 02-16-2008, 08:56 AM
dreamers

<Most cases a hero>

Do you have dreams of becoming a hero by killing someone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Rcrouse

Easy answer, Open your state code and read all chapters relating to deadly force.
Your interpretation is all that matters. You'll hear all kinds of answers, some good and some ridiculous here, and it all comes down to your perception and the time of the incident.
If you do get involved in what you described, I hope you survive physically, emotionally and financially as well as your family.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Wallhanger

Every state has a "defense of others" defense included in their self-defense statutes. Don't count on law enforcement to "help you create a defense." In ND, if you legitimately believe your neighbor is in danger of death or serious bodily injury you can use appropriate force to defend the other. The test is your perception at the time and whether your perception was reasonable all the circumstances.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Wallhanger

I might email the Attorney General of Minn and try to get a reply, something in writing might help in your defense.
Reading state/local laws would help, but most are so confusing or up for varying opinions depending on who's reading them.

Also try and contact one of the local gun groups and see if they can recommend a attorney to talk to.

Either way I'd prepare for some sort of legal battle.

But if you were asking, I'd go to their aid if I thought they were really in jeopardy, considering it took 45 minutes to get a cop out last time we called when someone was breaking into the neighbors house, no one was home so after a few minutes we just yelled at the guy and he went running off.

Major decision either way.

Al...who's not a gun slinger, but is armed
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

There is no question that I would come to my neighbor's aid. I will let the chips fall... But, then my son is a lawyer in a good firm... So, that and my homeowner's policy should cover the AAR issues. And, as a retired LEO my conscience would never let me ignore such a situation...
Old 02-16-2008, 02:55 PM
John in Mn

"IF YOUR NEIGHBOR WAS BEING ASSAULTED AND THE PERSON HAD A GUN WHAT WOULD YOU DO?"

Minnesota law is pretty clear. If you have the opportunity to retreat, you must. You do not have the right to take the law into your own hands.

What would I do? Larry, I think you know what I would do!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:26 PM
GF 95

YEP!!!
But here again I would not want to be put into that position, and as I know you would not either. But seems a lot of people stand by now a days and do not want to get involved. For whatever reason. Which is simply why I asked.
:grd:
Old 02-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Yarcraft91 unlogged

The legal implications depend on where you live. The moral implications depend on you.

Deadly force is serious stuff. If you really want answers, take a class that qualifies you for a concealed weapon permit. Find an instructor who has many years experience as a law enforcement officer in a big city in your state (mine was a 20-year veteran of the Detroit police force and their firearms instructor). Ask about relevant case law in your state. You don't want a permit? No big deal- my instructor said only 1/3 of his students actually get permits. They all get an education.

In some countries, it is illegal to use deadly force to defend your own life.

In some US states, you have a "duty to retreat" from a threat. This was Michigan until 2.5 years ago. Some states require you to retreat even inside your own house. Defend your neighbor in one of those states and you are likely to wind up imprisoned and sued into bankruptcy.

In Michigan, on the other hand, you may use now deadly force to prevent serious physical harm to yourself or another person. You may "stand your ground" anywhere. If the shooting is ruled justified, you cannot be sued for civil damages and anyone who tries is by default liable for your legal expenses. There is apparently no case law yet, so nobody knows what will happen when the first shooting under the new law goes to court.

How seriously do you want an answer to your question?