Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Which trolling motor for slipping? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Minnow

Default Which trolling motor for slipping?

I'm making last selections for my new boat and I'm trying to decide what trolling motor to put on the bow. Between the Power Drive and Maxxum which do you think would be better for jigging while slipping the current?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Wallhanger

I personally like the power drive type(I run a Terrova) with auto pilot.If your slipping a river you can dial in your exact speed/thrust to where you like it and let it go.With the auto pilot it will steer itself allowing you to concentrate more on the fishing.It's like having someone else there doing the boat steering for you while you fish,tie hooks,unhook fish,etc. etc.Sure you will have to make minor changes and adjustments with the pedal as you go along but you wont have to keep your foot the whole time on the pedal to provide thrust and to control the steering as you would with a cable drive.I love my Terrova with auto pilot and would not change it for my style of fishing in my boat for a cable drive.Saying that though there are situations where the immediate quick response of a cable drive unit is a better option for some in certain presentations and conditions.When I bass fish with my buddy in his boat the cable drive is the only way to go but the Terrova is good also just not as quick on the responce turning as the cable.(Tad bite slower)It really comes down to how and where you like to fish.Slipping to me = power drive with auto pilot