Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2006-2014 Remington 700 & model 7 RECALL !!!! - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Keeper

Default my apologies

my apologies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Keeper

most of the problems resulted in people who did not practice proper trigger control. Or from shade tree gun smiths who would adjust the sear down to much so it was barely engaged and then said rifle would slam fire if bolt ran hard or butt hit hard. the new xmark has a little to much goo that will mess with sear engagement so if having the knowledge simple enough to fix with out sending back to big green but why bother fixing a junk trigger.

If some one does not want to go through the send back route get one of the after markets they are by far superior in every aspect. run my timney at just a shade under two pounds on my tac comp gun with no problems and lots of hard use. problem i have is only 250 loaded rounds and running low on 140 amax and h4350.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Keeper

Ok I'm done with Remington. Anyone suggest the best non-Remington 30-06?
Humminbird 898 HD SI
Humminbird Helix 5 SI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 AM
Keeper

the best or the best factory. The best would be made by GA precision, Beanland, Bugholes, APA, AD Arms, Long Rifles Inc and a few other smiths i have forgot. The best factory i would go Kimber or Sako. The best is also hard to determine with out an application. If you are an average deer hunter who shoots 10 times a year any thing will work as under 300-400 yds and shooting factory ammo with a cheap scope it really does not matter.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntracker View Post
the best or the best factory. The best would be made by GA precision, Beanland, Bugholes, APA, AD Arms, Long Rifles Inc and a few other smiths i have forgot. The best factory i would go Kimber or Sako. The best is also hard to determine with out an application. If you are an average deer hunter who shoots 10 times a year any thing will work as under 300-400 yds and shooting factory ammo with a cheap scope it really does not matter.
Good points. I'll shoot more than 10 times a year but I never see myself hunting game at more than 400 yards. I don't see a need for extreme precision. I'm going to take a look at the Kimbers, I looked years ago and remember liking them a lot.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbygold View Post
Good points. I'll shoot more than 10 times a year but I never see myself hunting game at more than 400 yards. I don't see a need for extreme precision. I'm going to take a look at the Kimbers, I looked years ago and remember liking them a lot.
the Kimbers will make you smile they are a good stick
Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbygold View Post
Ok I'm done with Remington. Anyone suggest the best non-Remington 30-06?
I'm kind of surprised at the negative comments on the Remington.

In an effort to stay out of the Chevy <> Ford type debates on rifles, years ago I decided I would simply evaluate them myself by owning some of each, and decide which gun I liked best.

I own most - but obviously not all the models, and years produced.

The Remington 700 is one of the better choices available. Among the best action of the bunch, until moving up to the semi-custom grade of rifle. The only thing I don't like about the Remington is the bolt does not lock down when the safety is on. The actions are so strong it gives me lots of leeway building ammo that I have lots of room up or down in velocity to find a load that will group as tight as possible.

I don't share any discontent with the Rem 700 trigger, it's a good factory trigger, most Rem 700's I have do not go to a gun smith for trigger work.

I have a couple of Timney, and a shilen trigger in other guns, if I was forced to chose - the Remington stock trigger is better than Timney. The shilen trigger is good.

Old Savage 110's had poor triggers, I've replaced. The new Savage 110 bolts have good triggers.

Rugers - good trigger after being worked by a gun smith, but they all need work.

Browning, Sako - good guns. Mine are older, so trigger comments would not apply.

I do not have a Tikka - but familiar enough with them to like them. Built loads for a few of my friends with Tikka, and they are well put together.

Through the process of owning most of the production bolt action guns, I've found differences in them, some good points, some not so good points - mostly just different. There is only one production bolt that I will not buy another. The rest of them are very pleasing to own. The Remington 700 is right near the top of the list. Wood is better than most, checkering is better, one of the best actions, very good barrels, and very good triggers, and excellent craftsmanship.

The one I will never buy again - Winchester. Poor quality and performance throughout.

Unless I find a deal I can't pass up, or a caliber I really want - probably done with standard bolts. The custom, or semi-custom gun is yearning for me.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I'm kind of surprised at the negative comments on the Remington.

In an effort to stay out of the Chevy <> Ford type debates on rifles, years ago I decided I would simply evaluate them myself by owning some of each, and decide which gun I liked best.

I own most - but obviously not all the models, and years produced.

The Remington 700 is one of the better choices available. Among the best action of the bunch, until moving up to the semi-custom grade of rifle. The only thing I don't like about the Remington is the bolt does not lock down when the safety is on. The actions are so strong it gives me lots of leeway building ammo that I have lots of room up or down in velocity to find a load that will group as tight as possible.

I don't share any discontent with the Rem 700 trigger, it's a good factory trigger, most Rem 700's I have do not go to a gun smith for trigger work.

I have a couple of Timney, and a shilen trigger in other guns, if I was forced to chose - the Remington stock trigger is better than Timney. The shilen trigger is good.

Old Savage 110's had poor triggers, I've replaced. The new Savage 110 bolts have good triggers.

Rugers - good trigger after being worked by a gun smith, but they all need work.

Browning, Sako - good guns. Mine are older, so trigger comments would not apply.

I do not have a Tikka - but familiar enough with them to like them. Built loads for a few of my friends with Tikka, and they are well put together.

Through the process of owning most of the production bolt action guns, I've found differences in them, some good points, some not so good points - mostly just different. There is only one production bolt that I will not buy another. The rest of them are very pleasing to own. The Remington 700 is right near the top of the list. Wood is better than most, checkering is better, one of the best actions, very good barrels, and very good triggers, and excellent craftsmanship.

The one I will never buy again - Winchester. Poor quality and performance throughout.

Unless I find a deal I can't pass up, or a caliber I really want - probably done with standard bolts. The custom, or semi-custom gun is yearning for me.
gotta rem trigger sitting in my drawer i will trade you for the timney. Would use it on my next build. once you go custom you will never go back
Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntracker View Post
gotta rem trigger sitting in my drawer i will trade you for the timney. Would use it on my next build. once you go custom you will never go back
You can use it in the custom you build for me.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
You can use it in the custom you build for me.
i dont think you want me to build it if eyes and fingers are valuable one of those other guys i listed would be a much better option for your long term survival