Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
trailer pulls hard - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Wallhanger

I love that picture HRG!
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosebleed View Post
Ok, sheesh..... I'm not on a fishing forum posting in a Trailer section because I need someone do diagnose my truck. I'm an ASE master auto tech. Graduated tech school 10 years ago. Actually GM ASEP specific school. plus dealership exp. My last truck was a duramax (2002 the best year) So maybe I'm having a little trouble adjusting to gas.
Well, that may be your answer, actually. You MPG pullin doesn't sound that bad. That is a pretty big boat.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Nosebleed,
You can level with us.
The number one reason that you don't want to drive 50 mph on your drive is that you don't like to drive that speed.

If you're driving 50MPH on the highway....YOU ARE A HAZZARD!
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosebleed View Post
Hey thanks for that info. Sounds like your my clone! had a duramax, moved to the 6.2 3.73 (max tow), pull a bobcat. Your mileage numbers are right on too. I bet the bed cover helps. I wish I had a topper I think it would really help the boat draft be hind the truck. I'm encouraged that you've been able to get in the 12-13 range. With a bigger (and glass) heavier boat than mine, That's encourageing considering we have the same trucks. Unless you're lieing, you make a good case for me unlike the other posters who just say "your truck sucks your stuck with single digit mileage" I'll see what I can do with a tarp, 67mph, maxed tire press. etc..... I also am very impressed with my truck so far. I would be real happy if I could tow the boat to the weekend lakes I like to fish and get 13. Heck 12 will work.... Thanks for the advice.

Last thing, given the fact that I get 18-20 going 65mph and 13 going 80mph It's clear these trucks are very sensitive to drag. Be it wind, load, rolling resistance etc.....

Right lane here I come!
Nosebleed..

I have a 2010 6.2 not max tow. I tow a 19ft fiberglass. i get 10-13 depending on conditions. Drive 65-70, no cruise. I sure miss my duramax every time I hook up.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Keeper

Just thought I'd post an update since I towed the rig 1000 miles this last week. Here's what I have now-

tarped the boat tightly, tire pressure 60,

avg 70mph (65 up long hills, 75 down some, cruise 72 on the flats)

5-10mph headwind= 11.8mpg over 300mi
no wind = 12.8 mpg over 250mi
5-10mph tailwind= 13.4 mpg over 300+miles

So I think I'm doing the best I'm going to with 4000lbs back there. Honestly I was really happy with 12-13. just have to keep the wind off the nose. I can't say exactly what was the problem. When I bought the boat and towed it 1000miles in various wind conditions, I could only muster 9.5-11. So some or all of my work has paid off.

thanks guys