Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Banana Dike - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Tail DAncer

Default Banana Dike

I have just moved to Michigan this spring from Wisconsin and we have been doing quit well on walleyes out of Sterling. I have been hearing about the "Banana Dike" but can not figure out where it is and it is not on the hot spots map. Could someone let me in on where this is located. Thanks for the info.
Going out this weekend will post on how we did saturday night.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Banana Dike

It's the rock break wall just North of the Fermi stacks.

Bill W. (War-N-Peace-ch 68)
Old 07-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Wallhanger

The Banana Dike is roughly between Stoney Pointe and the mouth of the Detroit River. You can't miss the rock structure. The closest access is Pte. Mouille State Game area, but I haven't launched there in several years and I believe it's now quite shallow. The second choice would be Lake Erie Metropark. I haven't fished this stretch in some time, but I was always syurprised at how this region held fish well into the summer months. One odd thing was, is that we always hooked a bunch of small musky when we fished there. Lots of smallies too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

The banana dike is right below the Huron river. They may call it "Pointe Mouliee marsh" or something like that. It looks like a walled in area on the map. Its all man made. Just north or Stoney Pointe. The dike we are talking about is a huge pile of rocks on the east (lake) side edge of that runs a few miles long I would guess.

Old 07-24-2003, 04:10 PM

the detroit light has a channel w/bouy markers running into the opening of the banana dyke...it's a shallow flat for the most part on the east side of the banana dyke with a drop off on the southend..like everyone else states..rockpile walls.
hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

I have fished off the Banana Dike to the east in 16 - 30 fow this year and if the weeds aren't too bad you can catch some fair sized walleyes, one two weeks ago 29.5 inches about 7.5 lbs. Hot n Tots in metallic colors are the best lures.

If you have the opportunity take a walk on the dike there are a couple of areas that you can park, one is on the north side/one is on the south. You can see large numbers of wildlife, deer, ducks, geese, shore birds, etc. I take my dog out there as much as I can, there are no motorized vehicles other than the workers allowed on the dike.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

The banana dike is the barrier built around the Pt. Mouille marsh, and has a couple key points to use as landmarks. There is a gap about 1/2 way down and a large shed which used to house explosives, hence the name "Dynamite shack". You can not use the Mouille launch, the water is too thin. Erie Metro is the closest good launch, be ready for lots of small musky bites as well as walleye and smallies.