Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I Learned An Important Lesson This Season - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 12-12-2016, 02:36 PM
4T2

Default You guys nailed it

We love Black Bear. (Didn't mention it in my original post because I'm not quite sure on the etiquette of plugging for places.)

PJ, I'd PM you, but I still can't log in. More than a little annoyed about that, but whatever. "Rustic" is a good way to describe the cabins...

Dave, you said it perfectly--the vibe is what makes it special. And the food. And the fishing. And the owners. And, and, and...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Wallhanger

Spent close to 30 years hitting Red, but never stayed at that resort, not sure I remmeber it being there back then.

The crowd I went with would have breakfast in the morning and be off for the day.
We did housekeeping so we didn't have to depend or be restricted by someone else.
No guides, as we were lucky enough to have one or two locals and another who had a cabin on McKenzie Island and always caught fish.

Today I still go the housekeeping route, but I prefer a resort with a restaurant/bar or one close by.
Gives me the option of a fish fry, BBQ or just eating out.

As far as guides, usually you have to go in their boat, not gonna happen, nor do I want an extra person in my boat I don't know.
Over the years I have found guides and offered to just pay for some starting points on lakes I've never fished.
None have taken the cash, but I have bought a few something like a beer and burger.

If I'm with the wife, comfort and convience play much more a part than if I'm just with some guys.

Al
Old 12-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
We love Black Bear. (Didn't mention it in my original post because I'm not quite sure on the etiquette of plugging for places.)

PJ, I'd PM you, but I still can't log in. More than a little annoyed about that, but whatever. "Rustic" is a good way to describe the cabins...

Dave, you said it perfectly--the vibe is what makes it special. And the food. And the fishing. And the owners. And, and, and...

Here is my email address.

Pjkitchin65@gmail.com

Send me an email and I can send you my notes from our
trip there in 2014 along with some pictures. We had the pleasure of staying in the large cabin next to the lodge that year.

PjShorthorn
Old 12-13-2016, 11:29 AM
4T2

Al, Black Bear has been there for something like 60 years--was originally even further on the west end (near Trout Falls). I forget when they moved it to its current location (which is still on the west end, but not as west).

PJ, sent you an email from work. Love to share stories about our favorite place on the planet. That large cabin you stayed in (the old Main Lodge) is no longer there. They took it down last year, with no small amount of regret, as it was slowly tipping toward the lake. That old girl will be missed!

Old 12-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default Cabin

Quote:
Al, Black Bear has been there for something like 60 years--was originally even further on the west end (near Trout Falls). I forget when they moved it to its current location (which is still on the west end, but not as west).

PJ, sent you an email from work. Love to share stories about our favorite place on the planet. That large cabin you stayed in (the old Main Lodge) is no longer there. They took it down last year, with no small amount of regret, as it was slowly tipping toward the lake. That old girl will be missed!

42, I was fishing wit Pat at BBL for his first trip to Red Lake, we stayed at the newer cabin between the Lodge and the shower house.
They had to move it a couple of years ago, something about not being on their boundaries.
The old lodge was looking pretty bad, I hope they can use that space for a gazebo or something like that.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Was there when we were, surprised we didn't try it, but we stayed mostly near the town of Red Lake.
Chukuni River campgrounds became the one we stayed at mostly, all the respectable ones kicked us out.

Al
Old 12-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Keeper

I've done housekeeping and American plan. Both have their place but I do like the flexibility of housekeeping. I can survive on trail mix and venison jerky for a week of fishing.
I've hired guides on a few occasions, mostly for Lake Michigan salmon and trout. I can't see hiring one for bass or muskies, my usual pursuits. As Mike Borger mentioned, putting a pattern together is the real challenge. I love the payoff of figuring things out, getting a hit and feeling a solid fish on the hook set.
A prior poster mentioned getting chewed out by a camp owner for missing a meal. Camp owners feel a responsibility for their guests and when one doesn't show up when expected the owner worries and may even organize a search. He was probably worked up with worry, not anger.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Borger View Post
All of my trips this past year were great, but one really important lesson was learned.

I've been on a lot of trips over the years, mostly outpost camps, but a good number of lodges as well.

This will likely mean missing out on some great fisheries, but never again will I go to a lodge where I'm on a set schedule. It's just not for me. There's plenty of lodges that don't have rigid schedules and those ones would still interest me.

There's nothing I hate more than having to return to camp at 5pm for dinner every day then finally being finished at 7pm. I'd rather fish.

Most importantly NEVER again will I ever be guided. I can't stand it, even if the person is competent. It takes every ounce of enjoyment I have for the sport away from me as figuring things out is the challenge and the fun part for me. Usually I'm pretty successful at it.

This was reinforced by a nightmarish experience I had this year at a lodge which will remain nameless. My "guide" had zero experience on the lake and was a rank amateur as far as fishing goes. It was a total gong show LOL!

So what say you? Especially the experienced anglers among you. Would you fish at a lodge if you were on a schedule and had to be guided? Would the quality of the fishery itself outweigh the schedule and the guiding? Am I being too rigid?
One of the biggest highlights of my summer is when my family and I spend a week at Gunflint Lodge in Northern Minnesota, on the Minnesota/Canada border. I spend 3 days of that week in the company of a guide I met almost 20 years ago. It is a rare treat to be catered to, and fishing lakes like Saganaga is so much easier when you are with a guy who is on the water several months of the year. Have caught the biggest walleyes of my life, up to 33", on these annual trips. I don't need someone to outfit me, or otherwise give me any help with the actual fishing, but being with a guy who is dialed in to some good spots on a large, island-studded lake like Saganaga, or big water like Gunflint or North, is invaluable.

I love the fly-in trips where we do absolutely everything for ourselves, but I do admit to equally enjoying the company of a guy who is more friend than guide.