Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Upgarding the Humminbird - Adding a Bow Unit? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Minnow

Default Upgarding the Humminbird - Adding a Bow Unit?

I currently run a 798hd si with the transducer on the transom and unit on the dash.

I want to add a bow mount unit and a larger dislay for the console and have narrowed it down to the 958DI. i realize I will be giving up side scan at the console but the new 360 degree option may come into the picture later.

The easy decision would be to move the 798 up to the bow and install the 958 at the dash - but then I have a transducer problem. The 798's is mounted at th transom and I used the 3M marine sealant (that hardens)where the transducer wire passes though the transom - making it difficult to remove. Ideally I would want the bow unit's transducer to be on the trolling motor and I guess I would need a new rolling motor mount one anyway.

So I guess I would just do a new install of the 958 at the dash, orphan the exisiting 798 transucer at the transom and do a new install of the 798 at the bow with the new transducer on the trolling motor.

Any other suggestions maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenM View Post
I currently run a 798hd si with the transducer on the transom and unit on the dash.

I want to add a bow mount unit and a larger dislay for the console and have narrowed it down to the 958DI. i realize I will be giving up side scan at the console but the new 360 degree option may come into the picture later.

The easy decision would be to move the 798 up to the bow and install the 958 at the dash - but then I have a transducer problem. The 798's is mounted at th transom and I used the 3M marine sealant (that hardens)where the transducer wire passes though the transom - making it difficult to remove. Ideally I would want the bow unit's transducer to be on the trolling motor and I guess I would need a new rolling motor mount one anyway.

So I guess I would just do a new install of the 958 at the dash, orphan the exisiting 798 transucer at the transom and do a new install of the 798 at the bow with the new transducer on the trolling motor.

Any other suggestions maybe?
I would make every attempt at getting the 798's transducer free and putting it on the trolling motor. They make a trolling motor transducer mount just for this job.