Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
In the market for a depth finder - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Minnow

Default In the market for a depth finder

I am in the market for my first depth finder. Electronics these days can do just ridiculous things, I know that. Side imaging and the like can give a fisherman a huge advantage. I am fairly tech saavy, but also very much on a budget. With that being said, I am looking for some advice on a basic unit that does the following:

-Has GPS capabilities for lake map technology with a split screen to read the depth
-Keep way-points for marking historical spots

I know, very basic. Everything is gravy. I also need to keep the budget around $400. If I can get a unit for around that price that does more, that I can learn how to do as I go along, great. However, I am more focused on those two pieces and the price than anything.

I will be fishing mostly for walleye, so if there is anything else you guys think is essential for a unit, let me know. This is my first boat, and the previous family owners only catfished. I will be doing some of that too, but a lot less dependent on electronics for the whiskers. Thanks in advance for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

If a budget is a concern, look in the pre-owned market first. You will get a lot more bang for your bucks.

If new is all you want, then look at basic Humminbird and Lowrance units on Cabela's website, then search out a better deal using Google in Ebay or Amazon or who knows where.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
If a budget is a concern, look in the pre-owned market first. You will get a lot more bang for your bucks.

If new is all you want, then look at basic Humminbird and Lowrance units on Cabela's website, then search out a better deal using Google in Ebay or Amazon or who knows where.
I have no problem with second hand. My problem is knowing what I am getting, and what a good price is. While thinking this through, it wouldn't be hard to compare prices of basic units, but i have very little understanding of all the upgrades, etc out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Wallhanger

Maybe check Ebay for Lowrance LCX MT15.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central_IA_Eyes View Post
I am in the market for my first depth finder. Electronics these days can do just ridiculous things, I know that. Side imaging and the like can give a fisherman a huge advantage. I am fairly tech saavy, but also very much on a budget. With that being said, I am looking for some advice on a basic unit that does the following:

-Has GPS capabilities for lake map technology with a split screen to read the depth
-Keep way-points for marking historical spots

I know, very basic. Everything is gravy. I also need to keep the budget around $400. If I can get a unit for around that price that does more, that I can learn how to do as I go along, great. However, I am more focused on those two pieces and the price than anything.

I will be fishing mostly for walleye, so if there is anything else you guys think is essential for a unit, let me know. This is my first boat, and the previous family owners only catfished. I will be doing some of that too, but a lot less dependent on electronics for the whiskers. Thanks in advance for any information.
http://www.cabelas.com/product//2434...43%26CQ_st%3Db
Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Wallhanger

If you have a 3G cellular iPad check out sonar phone T-box. ($149)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3A_WPzyEy_c

Last edited by eriksat1; 02-13-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Wallhanger

By all means do your homework and a lot of it to avoid buying a unit that won't do everything you will want it to.
I would never settle for a unit without side imaging. It opens up a whole new world. That is just my preference. If you are really new using a fish-finder here is a link to a web site that explains the basics.
http://www.fishfindersource.com/how-...a-fish-finder/
Old 02-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Wallhanger

Check out Gander MT...Lowrance Elite 5 GPS DI $269, also comes with a $50 rebate. My brother purchased one before we went to Lake Vermiliion last year...worked great, has many popular lakes already preloaded, Navonics capable. Easy to use. I have the Elite 4 GPS DI works flawless.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Humminbird Helix 9 with GPS and down imaging. If you are looking to use split screen, I would go at least to a 7" unit. Down imaging is very cool, but I think I would be fine without it. I am OK without side imaging because I have never used it, but I can see how it would be a must for some.

There are a few 7" Helix units in your price range:

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater...elix-7-Series/

Like others said, do your homework. I had an Eagle Cuda (don't laugh) on my last boat and caught a lot of fish. Going to a Helix was a bit like switching from a black and white TV to Imax.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
Going to a Helix was a bit like switching from a black and white TV to Imax.
That reminds me of the first color unit I bought. It was amazing !

Last edited by Johnboy; 02-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.