Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New boat - new prop? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

Default New boat - new prop?

Hi all,

I just bought a new Lund Impact 1850 with a Merc 150 4stroke on it. It came with the standard 19p black aluminum prop. I have had the boat out a couple weekends now and here is what I am finding:

-Max RPM is 5600
-Max speed is 47 mph. Doesn't change much with a 3 adults and 3 kids, maybe drops 2-3 mph.
-Max trim is 1/4 on the trim gauge before it starts to cavitate.

It seems like the RPM and max speed are in line with where they should be. My question is more around the max trim. My old boat (2001 Sylvan 1600 with a 90 Yamaha 2 stroke) seemed to have far more trim range than this one. Is my current situation normal or would a different prop help gain more trim angle? Wondering specifically about a 4 blade SS.

Thanks for any info.

SkWalter

Instagram: @harderoutdoors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Slot Fish

Default New boat - new prop?

I have a mercury 115 on the 17.5 foot boat I went from 17 pitch three blade to a 17 pitch four blad. I got 3 mph faster and the hole shot and turning is much improved. I don't have a trim gauge so I can't tell you about that but I can say that I can't trim it far enough to blow out in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by GaFisherman; 05-17-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Minnow

2015 Lund 1850 impact XS mercury 115 4s. standard gear case

I went from the standard al spitfire 17p and have tried a 17p trophy plus. Great handling and high trim. hole shot was good. Did have some blow out upon break over with the trophy plus during initial hole shot at about 4800 rpm (more of an inconvenience that anything). you can get this with straight barreled props (Info from propman last fall)
Trophy plus made the boat handle like a sports car as well and great for towing.

Tried the spitfire X7 17P this spring. no blow out upon break over. Little less handling compared to the trophy plus, but is still an improvement over the Al spitfire.

If you can find a place were you can try out a trophy plus before you buy it I would. With the higher trim you should be able to get a little more RPM without blow out. I would try the 19 p

Hope this helps

DB0460
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

It's hard to find a better 4 blade prop than the Trophy Plus to run on a walleye boat with the mid-size gearcase Mercs- as long as you can spin the 17 pitch or higher available pitches. Trophy Plus is my favorite prop on my Starcraft SF176 rigs with 150 Opti and now a 150 4S Merc. On these large gearcase motors the T-Plus runs as an over and thru hub, which limits usage to lighter boats to avoid excessive venting at low planning speeds. I ran 21 pitch on my 150 Opti and 23 pitch on my current 150 4S.
Doug
Old 05-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks all. The dealer I bought my boat from gives me 20% off accessories, but a stainless prop like the Trophy Plus is still $750. They do have a demo program so you can try out different ones as long as you commit to buying one.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkWalter View Post
Thanks all. The dealer I bought my boat from gives me 20% off accessories, but a stainless prop like the Trophy Plus is still $750. They do have a demo program so you can try out different ones as long as you commit to buying one.

$750 after a 20% discount! Yike. You need to shop around. That prop in 17 or 19 pitch is under $500 for on-line purchases. A demo program is worth something, but you shouldn't have to pay that much more.

Your dealer can afford to offer a 20% discount if his merchandise is roughly 80% overpriced. I'd shop around for any watercraft accessories before assuming the dealer's discount is going to save you any money

Last edited by yarcraft91; 05-22-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Slot Fish

http://jacosmarine.com/new-mercury-propellers/

Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Wallhanger

Remember that is Canadian prices, so there is a difference in exchange rate.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkWalter View Post
Remember that is Canadian prices, so there is a difference in exchange rate.

Didn't pick up that you were shopping in Canada.

Current exchange rate would make a $500 USD item $655 CAD. Pre-discount price of that Trophy prop sounds like $940 CAD, still too high.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 05-22-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
Didn't pick up that you were shopping in Canada.

Current exchange rate would make a $500 USD item $655 CAD. Pre-discount price of that Trophy prop sounds like $940 CAD, still too high.
Add in the $70 USD for shipping ($100 CAD) and its about the same as what I would pay locally, without the benefit of the demo program. The price sucks but I don't see any other way around it.