Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Blakemore Road Runners? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Keeper

Default Blakemore Road Runners?

Just wondering how many of you fishermen have used these Blakemore Road Runners up in Canada? I was talking to a great guy who is a Member here and said they work real good. Any favorite colors, dressed hooks or worms or minnows on them? Never used them before so just thought I would ask anyones opinion before buying them. Thanks in advance. Thanks also to you Eyemike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

I use all kinds of lures for walleyes in NW Ontario - cranks tossed and trolled (lots of Rapalas), Lindy rigs, spinners behind bottom bouncers, slip bobbering, jigs of all sizes, shapes, and colors, etc., etc., etc. However, over more than thirty years I've caught more 'eyes on Road Runners than any other single lure. Yellow or chartreuse with half a crawler. Can have a plastic twister tail or not, plain hook or with the fuzzy add-on. I always have an assortment of sizes. Use light ones on an ultralight rod, 8th or quarter oz. to cast with a longer light action rod, even some 3/8th oz. to back troll or when forward trolling with the bow mount. The small ones with a 1" piece of crawler are excellent jumbo perch catchers, too.

I have not found any significant difference in effectiveness between the Blakemore brand and some other cheaper brand, like Bass Pro's own brand. Someone, maybe it's BPS, calls theirs the Stump Jumper. Never leave home without them!!

P.S. Years ago on one of my son's early trips to Canada, we arrived in camp early and were waiting for our cabin to be ready. He took his ultralight with 6 lb. test line and a small RoadRunner down to the dock and proceeded to catch the largest northern he has ever landed.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Minnow

About 7 years ago I was in the ignace area and someone told me about these type of jigs. I have never seen another jig out fish these. that little bit of flash sets it apart from a regular jig head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Keeper

Last time I was on Lac Seul my uncle caught 4 to 5 fish to every two my Dad and I were catching. Finally we noticed he was using the road runner jigs. The creep wouldn't share until we threatened to dump him in the lake. That particular day they worked great for him.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Keeper

Default Thanks!

Thank you to all that replied. Will be ordering some of these later on tonite either from Cabelas or Bass Pro. Looks like they are the only ones that carry them. The Gander Mountain store here in Buffalo does not carry them either. Seems like everyone has had good luck with them.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Minnow

Agree with all the above. I will go to them if the fishing is slow, but your run of the mill jig head is a fraction of the cost and under most conditions (great fly in fishing) the edge isn't all that necessary. Roadrunners are a great crappie lure as well and where bass are used to seeing the typical plastic and spinnerbaits, they can be deadly.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARIS-PETE View Post
Thank you to all that replied. Will be ordering some of these later on tonite either from Cabelas or Bass Pro. Looks like they are the only ones that carry them. The Gander Mountain store here in Buffalo does not carry them either. Seems like everyone has had good luck with them.
Pete
I have noticed that gander here in buffalo has gone down hill on a lot of their stufff compared to what they had when they first opened. When they first opened I went there a couple times a week, but rarely go now.

Dick's sporting goods has become more of a yuppy exercise equipment store and fashion clothes.

Galyans was a great store but they were bought out by Dick's sporting goods.

I cannot wait til Basspro opens here and wish there was a Cabelas in the works as well

Rebs
Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Smallmouth can't help themselves, all roadrunners must be eaten.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
Pete
I have noticed that gander here in buffalo has gone down hill on a lot of their stufff compared to what they had when they first opened. When they first opened I went there a couple times a week, but rarely go now.

Dick's sporting goods has become more of a yuppy exercise equipment store and fashion clothes.

I cannot wait til Basspro opens here and wish there was a Cabelas in the works as well
In the Detroit area we had a Sportsmans Warehouse for under a year. The store was obviously stocked by people who use what they sell, not marketing gurus. I loved the place. Anything I wanted from fly tying supplies to muskie baits was in stock. Unfortunately the people who decided to put the store in it's lousy location are probably the same people who decided to not even give it a year before closing it.
I wish we had one of those back around here, I liked it a lot better than BPS or Cabelas, much less Dicks or Gander.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Keeper

Default Hi there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
Pete

Rebs- agree with you 100% on GM and the others. The only time I go there is for something to do! Not much in the store that I don't already have except these RoadRunners.My friend is their Master Gunsmith up there and he has told me some real stories that show the quality and quanities are going down. Tell you more when we meet.