Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Who makes the steering systems - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Keeper

Default Who makes the steering systems

Anyone know who makes the steering systems in Tracker Boats? My Tundra's is so stiff it takes two hands to turn it. Especially when trying to line up on the trailer. I've found only one grease cert and I must be missing something. TRACKER just wants to sell me hydralic steering. I was in the garage yesterday and almost needed to put a wrench to turn the motor(its cold here). If I can find out maybe I can email the manufacturer and get some tips. $1400 for hydralics is something I want to advoid. PS I have a 150 Merc on it not that that matters much unhooked from the steering I can turn the engine side to side with one hand.

Mike G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Wallhanger

Not sure about Tracker specifics, but yours is probably something like this:

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/produc...ry-steering-2/

If you can verify the manufacturer, you can probably just replace the cable. Otherwise, replacing the whole system may be just about as easy. Don't wait until it breaks or seizes completely. Measure the length of your existing cable and order the same size.

Jerry
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Slot Fish

Get under the dash and have a look at the helm which is the piece on the underside of the dash that the wheel connects to and it should have manufacturer/model stamped on it my bet is teleflex and the first thing they'll tell you is to take the cable out of the hole it feeds into on the motor steering shaft and clean and relube. I think you can find directions on their website at least you used to be able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Wallhanger

Yours sounds identical to my Starcraft when the cable seized. Ordered a new one from Cabelas and installed it myself.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Wallhanger

Default Could be any of 4 items...

...corrosion inside the motor's tilt tube where the steering cable goes through it, a bad steering cable, overgreasing the single grease fitting if it's near the motor's tilt tube, or a bad helm. I actually had a steering cable bind once when my son got carried away when I told him to give the zerk fittings a few squirts. I ended up removing the zerk and working the wheel back and forth until I had pumped out the excess. I'd pull the cable and it's actuator rod out of the tilt tube and see if its corroded first.
Doug
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Wallhanger

Teleflex is a major producer of steering systems, both cable and hydraulic, so you may have a Teleflex. Look on the steering hub, or the connector at the outboard for a name. To replace just the cable the price is not too bad.

Have you push-pulled the disconnected cable to see if the steering wheel turns easily. Maybe somebody here will chime in, and is familiar with cable steering, could the steering hub be bad? Would be pain to replace cable then find out the hub is the problem.

Does the Tracker price include installation for $1400? If so, that would be worth the price, but if it's just the kit, well that price is about on par with most suppliers of the Teleflex SeaStar 'Pro' model. You can get the non-pro model for a little less.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Minnow

The steering on our 2008 Pro guide v-17 was junk after about a year too. especially below 50 degree air temps. couldn't turn for the life of me, loading was extremely embarrassing. thought id rip the wheel off the console.

For the record.. Alumacraft, lund, crestliner are much nicer. I can turn with ease, and pound waves with a 16ft Lunker dlx with more confidence than that heavy 17ft piece of junk (leaked and wouldn't turn).

Couldn't be happier upgrading from a 2008 pro guide v-17, 115 optimax, to a 2006 Lunker dlx with a 50 suzuki. Fishing is more relaxing now! I worry more about catching fish than staying afloat.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

If you have much time on the boat, it might just make sense to replace all of the steering.
i.e. helm, cable and motor connection.

Then, you will be sure that you will have a good long lasting steering system.

As others have pointed out, be sure that you keep the motor end fittings and slide tubes clean and well lubricated. I tend to clean the motor ends and relube them at least once a month during the boating season.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/NFB84...h-All+Products

By the way, this is the no feedback system. If you are willing to live with a bit of wheel torque, you can get the standard rack and pinion that will give you nice and free movement all of the time, at the expense of fighting wheel torque under certain conditions.

Be safe
REW