Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Has anyone had any issues with a roller trailer? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

I had bunks all my life,then bought a used Pro V that came with a Shorelander roller trailer. It never aligned properly,the rear rollers were positioned too far foreward...

Tried to get help and advice from Shorelander. The best I can say about Shorelander's (non-existent) customer service is they FULLY support their dealers.

It's a bunk trailer now. Thanks,Shorelander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Wallhanger

I think most people agree that rollers work better at shallow launches and bunks are better at steep - deep launches.

The difference I have noticed is that most bunk trailers carry the boat lower which makes it easier to get in and out when it is on the trailer. It also results in a little more stability when on the road.

Rollers also seem to be a little harder to adjust to fit the boat and if they are not right then it is more likely to load off center.

Jerry
Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
First off I want to than all you who power load and ceate that hole from doing it, but then I'd like ya to get out and remove that shallow spot right after it.
It makes loading and unloading so much easier...

I think HRG has the best of both worlds.

I've had both over the years and prefer rollers as they work in shallow launches much better, but you do have to make sure the boats in the water before unhooking it.
I have the two alinement poles on each side and they help no matter whether it's bunk or roller, but especially roller imho
Seems easier to load and unload with the rollers too.

Al
Allen... I know how the ramps and lakes tend to be around MN. Wisco, etc.
However, our ramps out on the western reservoirs are really long. Some are over a block long. This is due to the wide range of water levels experieced.
So... when the water is within normal pool...power loading hurts nothing. Then at the end of these long ramps is fairly heavy rock, rip rap-type rock fill so we dont' get a hole blown there if /or when the water ever gets that low.
Then we have ramps on rivers with 4 to 6mph current.
Man... you HAVE to power load at least part way on them....or you are screwed.....You would never be able to load alone, otherwise.

Different needs in different areas. My Favorite trailer ever was one I had with bunks in the back and rollers up front..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Slot Fish

Wisconsin has ALOT of no power up boat landings..winching onto bunks would be a pain in the butt
I have roller trailer for my Alumacraft Classis 165 ..no problems..Just don't unlatch winch latch when backing into launch..Boat will be on the dry ground..It SUCKS
Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
damage?

T-mac have you ever had any hull damage from bost sitting a long time on roller trailers?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
StillFishin'

Good discussion and I'd like to put my two cents about MY roller trailer. It is over 15yrs. old and is a Culkins.

I have used very shallow ramps in the past and had to push it off which worked well. I think it would be harder to push a 18fter off a bunk. as I think back I don't remember having a problem getting it back on.

Now I use a deeper/steeper ramp. So I ALWAYS leave the safety chain on until it is in the water. So Getting it into the water is no problem.

I do have problems getting it back on the trailer to align the rollers where the are suppose to sit with the streaks. IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING! I have to let the back down many times and try to figure out why it does not center it self correctly. Other wise the streak just goes on top of the roller instead of on the inside where it is suppose to go.

The last time I loaded it I think I at least know why I have a problem- the hull is leaning to the port somewhat. But I don't know how to correct it.

Bottom line: I think I'd have less problems with a bunk!

StillFishin'
Old 01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage? View Post
T-mac have you ever had any hull damage from bost sitting a long time on roller trailers?
Damage, yes...But,...not me, I switched to bunks soon after I moved here from northern Minnesota. But...I saw spilits on hulls with folks who made the drive back east to buy their boat and came back to MT with a roller trailer.

Not from sitting, but from traveling up and down our long, washboard Montana roads.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Glass Hull Support?

I have always had a roller trailer but I have also always had a tin boat. I would eventually like to buy a glass boat and it always seems like glass boats have there trailers made for their boats. I always thought it was because a bunk trailer gives a glass boat better hull support. Am I wrong in this assumption ? Seems like you see more roller trailers on tin boats. I have wondered how I would load a glass boat at a few of the shallow ramps that I have to use in my area, with a bunk. Do glass boat manufacturers recommend a bunk or does a roller trailer provide adequate support?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Wallhanger

I have both, bunk for the Mastercraft, Roller for the Crestliner. Takes me about 1 minute to load both, and both fit nice. I don't see an advantage, or disadvantage of either.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Allen... I know how the ramps and lakes tend to be around MN. Wisco, etc.
However, our ramps out on the western reservoirs are really long. Some are over a block long. This is due to the wide range of water levels experieced.
So... when the water is within normal pool...power loading hurts nothing. Then at the end of these long ramps is fairly heavy rock, rip rap-type rock fill so we dont' get a hole blown there if /or when the water ever gets that low.
Then we have ramps on rivers with 4 to 6mph current.
Man... you HAVE to power load at least part way on them....or you are screwed.....You would never be able to load alone, otherwise.

Different needs in different areas. My Favorite trailer ever was one I had with bunks in the back and rollers up front..

Well, I'll rephrase it then, IF your leaving that shallow spot, get out and remove it.
Al