Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
ConTrollKing Remote Throttle Control - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Question ConTrollKing Remote Throttle Control

Anyone use this for their kicker to control speed? Does it increase resolution and allow you to pinpoint the RPM that you need.

How was the install?

Any comments would be appreciated.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...372&hasJS=true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Keeper

I use one, I'm sure there are more responsive units, I'm really happy with mine & would not hesitate in buying one again. To install, you need to cut the throtle cable & install a slip joint that is supplied., A bracket bolts onto the engine with a servo from a remote control, it attaches to the slip joint. I can still controll the throttle manually, I have a tiller. Two wires run to my starting battery to power the servo & the servo has a hardwired remote I threaded out by my console. You can flip a switch that will idle your engine while fighting/landing a fish, flip it back & it will take you to the same speed/rpm range. I have no idea what rpm's my kicker is running at, I watch the speed on the gps. I have seen digital models but have no experience with them.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

Havnt seen those but trollmaster makes one that most guys are using.I have one.You can google them to see.Easy to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Talking controllking

I have one of these and so do several of my friends. I think it works great. I borrowed my boat to a friend of mine and after using it over the weekend he put one on his boat right away.
I haven't tried any of the other brands that are available so I can't compare any for you.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Wallhanger

I had (well actually still have) one of the controllking units. Like a first gen trollmaster. Great price if you don't need the bells and whistles. Trollmaster didn't have an application for my kicker, and controllking did. So I got the controllking and was very happy with it. I no longer have the kicker (was a 5 hp honda), but did not sell the controllking with it. You don't happen to want to use this on a small honda do you?

edit, forgot to mention, ease of install depends on your installation. some motors are easier than others.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Minnow

It worked great for 2 months then wouldnt hold one speed I sent it back to Cabelas. I came on here today to see if there was any other units like the controllking. I like how simple it is. You can get the servo motor for about 20 bucks and then you just need a control. Ill probably go to a robotics shop and see if they can help
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNDEXPLORERSPORT View Post
It worked great for 2 months then wouldnt hold one speed I sent it back to Cabelas. I came on here today to see if there was any other units like the controllking. I like how simple it is. You can get the servo motor for about 20 bucks and then you just need a control. Ill probably go to a robotics shop and see if they can help
If you want to make your own like I did what you need to control the servo is called a servo tester. They are around $10. I found one online, they did not have them in the hobby shop

You will also need a voltage regulator, since it runs on 5 volts. I happened to have a 12v cig adapter (I save them from old stuff) that stepped down the 12v to 5v, its a pretty common operating voltage. Or you can make your own, they sell kits at electronic shops.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.